What do you want to see in 2018 AGT.

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 Sep 2017 17:23 #8974 by maverick
maverick created the topic: What do you want to see in 2018 AGT.
With VASC's taking over the running of AGT in 2018 it is a given that we are in for change.
We all hope for plans/decisions that will make AGT in 2018 and beyond a must watch with full grids.
Do they run on the VASC's cars or Shannon's Nationals ?
What format's, what locations or anything that you can think of that will have you looking forward to and enjoying GT racing locally.
You never know who's reading this, so have your say.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2017 23:19 #8975 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: What do you want to see in 2018 AGT.
Is a round in Newcastle too much too ask? ;) I would love that. As long as Eastern Creek stays on the schedule I'll be happy.

The Motorsport Nerd: A blog for all motorsport enthusiasts by a massive motorsport enthusiast. Check it out: motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorsport-nerd
The Motorsport Nerd is now on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themotorsportnerd/?view..._for=239217863187708

More
20 Sep 2017 09:42 #8976 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: What do you want to see in 2018 AGT.
Im hoping for more stability for the championship and Im sure with the management experience that Supercars brings we'll get it.

I think we need a stable year like last year where the championship really hit some highs with consistent big grids.

As a fan I'm hoping we see more rounds on the Shannons Nationals bill as its more fan friendly then a early morning race on a Saturday morning at Eastern Creek.....

All my desires as a fan aside, I just want the competitors to be happy because if they're happy then the championship is healthier as a result. Less politics off track would help significantly.
The following user(s) liked this post: Kalekta

More
20 Sep 2017 10:55 #8977 by Dazza
Dazza replied the topic: What do you want to see in 2018 AGT.
I would love more racing at the Nationals (I can't see it happening), but I think a race distance around 1.5 hours for sprint rounds & make the enduro races a time certain 3.5 hours and get the whole race in every time, rather than a distance race that doesn't always make it to the end.

More
20 Sep 2017 11:02 - 20 Sep 2017 13:34 #8978 by TCR
TCR replied the topic: What do you want to see in 2018 AGT.
Put simply, I'd just like to see more cars at each meeting, 25-30 cars would be ideal. These smaller grids aren't doing the category any favours. Question is, how do they achieve it?

I feel overall, that having the three separate Championships is spreading the field a bit too thin.

I really like the idea of the Trophy Series for older spec cars, as it gives some life to these cars as they get older. It makes it easier for guys who buy the latest cars to justify their purchases, as there's a market for them when they're looking to upgrade and sell off their 'old' car. It's also a great stepping stone for guys looking to step up from State based Prodsports to a National Level class. So keep that series pretty much as is, based on a series of shorter sprint races.

That leaves the Sprint Championship and Endurance Championships. Personally I think they need to be combined somehow. Perhaps they could still crown a Sprint Series Champion, based on points accumulated at the shorter sprint rounds, and an Endurance Champion, based on point accumulated at the longer Endurance races, but somehow combine the two series into one calendar, with the Endurance rounds being a bit of a showpiece for the category, much like Sandown and GC for the V8s.

Possibly include the Bathurst 12hr as part of the Endurance Championship or leave it as a standalone event. Pros and cons for both.
Last Edit: 20 Sep 2017 13:34 by TCR.

More
20 Sep 2017 13:25 - 20 Sep 2017 13:31 #8980 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: What do you want to see in 2018 AGT.
FIA Driver Ratings would be nice, to me. Remove the existing tiered CPST's rules so there's one BoP (on the cars) for the series.

Switch to Pro-Am and Am classes to keep it interesting, too - and put a "salary cap" on hired pro-drivers so its kept interesting and somewhat level.

Don't make Am feel second class to Pro-Am - give them equal air time and coverage -even their podiums.

For single drivers - they would have to do a minimum stationary stop that is the same as a two-car entry (which has the risk of something going wrong on driver change) - or simply make it 2 drivers compulsory as it is with many series around the world so the whole field is fairly balanced (I don't see this being completely popular - but it removes the existing CPST's)

Also - fewer rounds on street circuits to minimise risk of damage and excess operating costs to competitors. It's bad enough in Adelaide, Townsville, Albert Park - and Sandown, Highlands are hardly any better.

For your global GT3 photo fix: www.flickr.com/groups/gt3/
For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

For my guessed Entry List: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZaPzpOWO...K1Y/edit?usp=sharing
Last Edit: 20 Sep 2017 13:31 by StueyB83.

More
20 Sep 2017 16:32 #8983 by Ryan Lee
Ryan Lee replied the topic: What do you want to see in 2018 AGT.
The only thing with that is that ruling out street circuits due to risk of damage is negated when you look at the crashes that have happened this year at Barbagallo, SMP and Bathurst. All permanent circuits

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 Sep 2017 17:17 #8984 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: What do you want to see in 2018 AGT.

Ryan Lee wrote: The only thing with that is that ruling out street circuits due to risk of damage is negated when you look at the crashes that have happened this year at Barbagallo, SMP and Bathurst. All permanent circuits

Fair point there.
With the 12 hour and Adelaide starting us off, there's potential for some early carnage and the majority of cars do both.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

More
20 Sep 2017 17:50 - 20 Sep 2017 18:11 #8985 by StueyB83

Ryan Lee wrote: The only thing with that is that ruling out street circuits due to risk of damage is negated when you look at the crashes that have happened this year at Barbagallo, SMP and Bathurst. All permanent circuits

I kept Bathurst separate as its non-championship (and not a permanent circuit :P ) and everyone knows the risk there.

When I was typing this - I was thinking of Scott Taylors whack at SMP - and although it was a BIG accident - it was one that can happen at any circuit (like Vanthoors engine block ripping crash at Misano).

At street circuits, even minor "fixable" incidents like bent body-panels or suspension damage still add to costs - not just the big shell breaking impacts - which are a greater risk of occurring than a proper circuit.

Another factor is room for accident avoidance when a car is in the middle of the track. On a proper circuit other cars can typically take to the grass. On a wall lined street circuit - at times there's no options available - look @ Clipsal 2015 Start when the Trass car bounces back into the rest of the field...

Minimising street circuits is mitigation against all levels of extra costs - not to mention that a number of them are characterless. GT3 cars in particular do not respond well to whacking the wall like a tube frame VASC does - which is why I hope they don't follow that circus all the way around Australia.

For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

For my guessed Entry List: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZaPzpOWO...K1Y/edit?usp=sharing
Last Edit: 20 Sep 2017 18:11 by StueyB83.

More
20 Sep 2017 21:15 #8986 by Ryan Lee
Yeah, i can see what you're saying. I also agree.

I know Mat once said there are a heap of drivers who don't want to race at Winton. That sucks IMO. I think it would be a great track for them to compete at as there is sufficient change throughout the track where it would suit most of the cars in different areas. But, if drivers dont want to go there. So be it.

A potential track list could very well go along the lines of this...

Clipsal (Sprint)
Darwin (Sprint) (long haul i know, but how good would GTs be around Hidden Valley!)
Barbagallo (Sprint)
Townsville (Sprint)
Albert Park (Sprint)
Phillip Island (AEC)
SMP (AEC)
Winton (AEC)
Hampton Downs (AEC)

I'm just in two minds. Surely if GT was to take on a role with Supercars, it's going to be a support category for them, meaning most, if not all races might be with the category. I'm not sure whether i'm a fan or not. Obviously, this will instantly push the price of visiting events up as you're paying for the supercars, not the GTs. From a competitor stand point. You can see why they want to be there, maximum exposure. From a fan's point, i've never liked going to the racing during Supercars weekends. The schedule is far too spread out and there is so long where there is simply nothing happening. To top it off with the fact you're paying top dollar to get in, it just doesn't equate to a good day out for me. I always go to Sandown on the Friday as it's always my birthday weekend. I will go down by myself and just mosey about here and there. Loitering wherever i feel like and moving on in the same fashion. Taking in the action and most importantly, the cars. I haven't been to a Supercars weekend since Clipsal last year and frankly, i'm personally not a fan of having to compete for every thing that i want to do with all the other people.

Sure, more people in the gate is only a good thing for the category and i'm the first to admit that i have little patience for other people haha so this is something i have to deal with. But, it would certainly stop me from coming to a weekend and it was 100% the reason i didn't make the trip to SMP. Cost wasn't an issue. I could make it happen if i wanted to. But, i didn't want to have to deal with it, so i just didn't. Whereas, I'm spending thousands to go to Highlands at the end of the year. so, go figure.

I don't have an answer for what we should do to make the category work so i'm not going to try and throw a theory in the hat. But, as someone had mentioned before, as long as the competitors (the people paying to have the cars on the grid) are happy, then so be it. Maybe someone needs to go around to all the owners and ask them what they want. What is important to them and what would secure their car/s on the grid for the whole season. Then you can work on working in a direction that works.

I don't think we're too far from the mark. We had a very similar year to 2016 but for some reason the year has been quite different. I'm not 100% sure as to what changed, but i'm fairly certain that there would be minimal change needed to bring it back into line.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

More
21 Sep 2017 09:18 #8991 by StueyB83

Ryan Lee wrote: A potential track list could very well go along the lines of this...

Clipsal (Sprint)
Darwin (Sprint) (long haul i know, but how good would GTs be around Hidden Valley!)
Barbagallo (Sprint)
Townsville (Sprint)
Albert Park (Sprint)
Phillip Island (AEC)
SMP (AEC)
Winton (AEC)
Hampton Downs (AEC)

For me the hitlist is:

Sprint:
Adelaide
Albert Park (Only for exposure)
Barbagallo
SMP
Hidden Valley or Symonds Plains
Surfers

AEC:
PI
SMP
QLD Raceway (It would be nice on the Updated Version)
Hampton Downs

I say SMP twice, because sadly NSW state government points motorsport money in the wrong direction (New Bathurst Circuit Aside) - but I'd be happy for the AEC to end up on the new Bathurst circuit in future - replacing an SMP round.

Good sentiments Ryan.

For myself - another nice "wish" is for the AEC to be completely standalone events from the VASC circus - they could still actively promote it as part of a special little race-series with a following support package.

And I'd also love to see the Bentley re-activated (Properly).

More
21 Sep 2017 09:24 #8992 by kiwikid_1
kiwikid_1 replied the topic: What do you want to see in 2018 AGT.
Don't forget next year Hampton Downs is a 12hr event. And for the record i can not wait.....2 x 12hrs in one year wahoo!!!!

More
21 Sep 2017 14:24 #8993 by StueyB83
True Kiwikid - it would be nice for the AEC to still end in NZ - but then again - its not the ANZEC!

I was thinking about how the Blancpain Sprint Series wasn't taken very seriously for a few years - until they decided to get off goat tracks (Nogaro?) and street circuits (Baku) last year because the manufacturers in the Pro Class wanted FIA rated circuits - for better facilities and track conditions.

Sadly, while some of the tracks are meh (Hungaroring) - the series has grown because of that move.

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
21 Sep 2017 17:08 #8994 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: What do you want to see in 2018 AGT.
If AGT runs with the Nationals, would it be better to run the Trophy series with the main gamers at the same meeting ?

More
21 Sep 2017 18:35 #8995 by Ryan Lee
Nah, you have a few people running both because they can. They would have to choose

More
21 Sep 2017 20:46 #8996 by Dazza
Dazza replied the topic: What do you want to see in 2018 AGT.

Ryan Lee wrote: Nah, you have a few people running both because they can. They would have to choose

From the previous PI Nationals round & the AGT @ Sandown there was 2 drivers in that situation.
Steve McLaughlan & Mark Griffith - with Mark also competing in the Production car race at PI, so it could be done if scheduled right.

More
22 Sep 2017 18:20 - 22 Sep 2017 18:23 #9002 by RedZedMikey
RedZedMikey replied the topic: What do you want to see in 2018 AGT.
I like Stuey's circuit list. I also would like to see the AEC remain on the Shannon's bill, with the races being the premier event of those weekends. However, I think the Trophy races would be better off run on Shannons events that did not include the AEC races; that gives me more weekends to attend. I would expect the AGT sprint series to be on VASC weekends, and I guess that's OK.

I would like to see the Bentley resurface (pleeeease), and Erebus come back to AGT. Whilst I haven't purchased it yet, there is an article in the latest AA that alludes to this. Hopefully it will be Auto Fact rather than Auto Fiction ...
Last Edit: 22 Sep 2017 18:23 by RedZedMikey.

Time to create page: 0.348 seconds