GT World Cup 2017

• StueyB83
  • StueyB83's Avatar Topic Author
More
03 Jul 2017 11:38 - 03 Jul 2017 11:41 #7853 by StueyB83
StueyB83 created the topic: GT World Cup 2017
Quietly, new measures have been enforced for the GT World Cup in Macau 2017;

sportscar365.com/other-series/gt-world-c...ies/#comment-2320005

It's now a Pro Only event. Teams MUST be manufacturer supported and only Gold/Platinum drivers are allowed - making this arguably the most high-level professional GT3 event to date.

This means no more slow privateer entries crashing out and holding up the race.

There is also a cap of 25 cars max, and a bunch of other scheduling things to speed up turnover of incidents.

Hopefully this - combined with no entry fee for manufacturers - entices more teams like Manthey, WRT and Bentley to turn up again.

They have also introduced greater use of TEK-PRO barriers and are looking to significantly improve recovery times from accidents via a new vehicle fleet.

While the track will ultimately have limitations on passing opportunities - this is a step in the right direction for an event calling itself the world cup.

Now that the gloves are off - what do people think?

For your global GT3 photo fix: www.flickr.com/groups/gt3/
For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

For my guessed Entry List: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZaPzpOWO...K1Y/edit?usp=sharing
Last Edit: 03 Jul 2017 11:41 by StueyB83.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2017 12:31 - 03 Jul 2017 12:32 #7854 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: GT World Cup 2017
Its a good step to take the gentlemen drivers out of it-if its supposed to be the World Cup then it should be Pro only.

I'm not exactly sure that the removal of entry fees will entice factories to participate as they are but a drop in the ocean compared to the costs of running a couple of cars over the weekend. I'd like to be proven wrong though. Ferrari appears not to care at all about the event as does McLaren unfortunately, doesn't make a lot of sense when the area is a big market for them road car wise..Where is NIssan? ...Looking at last years entrylist 70% of the field wasn't manufacturer supported so this year will be a big change. I wonder even if we will hit 20 cars on the entry list under the new rule.

Im in two minds about Macau, whilst Im sure driving their is like a rollercoaster for the driver and a lot of fun, the circuit isn't conducive to good racing for obvious reasons. There was rumours that the World Cup would move to Paul Ricard and as far layouts go its complete opposite :lol: . Personally I'd rather them race at somewhere like Spa or Brands Hatch, a good old fashioned, fast unforgiving circuit but they don't have the glitz and glamour that the FIA probably wants with such a event-you could put the WEC in the same position.
Last Edit: 03 Jul 2017 12:32 by Richo.

• StueyB83
More
03 Jul 2017 14:07 #7855 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: GT World Cup 2017
I see it capitalising on the back of Blancpain Asia. Ferrari has a good representation there so hopefully someone puts a car forward with funded drivers (or Ferrari provides a pro-bono).

I don't see these moves being done without direct connection to manufacturers to gauge what they want (its an FIA event, after all). Porsche, Audi, and Merc would likely be all in anyway - Lambo a maybe. McLaren, Nissan and Bentley may hold out pending new cars for next year.

I think its more the enticement that the race will actually mean something for once - much more prestige in this format.

By any stretch - give me Bamber in a GT3-R and I'm happy - also interesting to see Mr Macau (Mortara) in an AMG GT3 instead of his usual steed.

For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

For my guessed Entry List: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZaPzpOWO...K1Y/edit?usp=sharing

More
03 Jul 2017 16:02 #7860 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: GT World Cup 2017
In perfect world, I'd like to see each manufacturer represented by a team of 2 cars with the best possible drivers for each manufacturer (like AMG usually do with Engel and van der Zande). It would be great if some of the lesser known cars like the Dodge Viper (unlikely considering they're not made anyone :( ) and maybe even the Emil Frey Jags made the trip too. That might give the event a bit more of an international feel...

I do like the idea of Pro-only. Should make it pretty cut-throat in qualifying...

The Motorsport Nerd: A blog for all motorsport enthusiasts by a massive motorsport enthusiast. Check it out: motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorsport-nerd
The Motorsport Nerd is now on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themotorsportnerd/?view..._for=239217863187708

More
03 Jul 2017 17:50 #7862 by CP
CP replied the topic: GT World Cup 2017
Is there a rule that says you have to be upright to win?
The following user(s) liked this post: StueyB83, Nardulas

More
01 Aug 2017 09:06 #8369 by bcarr6
bcarr6 replied the topic: GT World Cup 2017
I honestly hunk Pro only is good, but I'd rather see the event moved away from Macau. To me an ideal 'GT World Cup would be a 3/4 hour manufacturer run only event with only pro entrants. Put it on a track where everyone can fight hard instead of follow each other

More
25 Sep 2017 06:01 #9008 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: GT World Cup 2017
In a surprise Chaz Mostert joins Marco Wittman with Team AAI to represent BMW this year.

www.dailysportscar.com/2017/09/24/wittma...sports-at-macau.html

Mostert got up to speed very quickly with the M6 at Bathurst this year but I don't think he has any Macau experience so it's a bit of a odd pick considering BMW have their pick of a number of their factory drivers who've raced at Macau before.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

More
26 Sep 2017 19:15 #9015 by Ryan Lee
Ryan Lee replied the topic: GT World Cup 2017
If a seat doesn't open for Mostert at DJRTP, i'd love to see him give Supercars the flick. Could this be more then a reward for a good job?? Could BMW be courting the talented bloke to move into the BMW ranks? With BMW opening their waters to GTE in WEC they will need to be pulling good drivers from their amazing list. That could open up a potential opening for Mostert to give DTM a go. I don't think he'd be half bad!!

• StueyB83
More
12 Oct 2017 09:51 #9141 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: GT World Cup 2017
www.autosport.com/gt/news/132329/honda-t...factory-nsx-in-macau

A Honda and a Ferrari have been confirmed for the race.

Time to create page: 0.297 seconds