The Motorsport Nerd

  • James3592
  • James3592's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
More
25 May 2017 11:37 #7030 by James3592
James3592 created the topic: The Motorsport Nerd
Thought I'd start a thread for my blog. Here's my latest post:

motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorspor...lets-go-night-racing

If anyone has an idea for a post they would like me to write about by all means feel free to message me. :)

The Motorsport Nerd: A blog for all motorsport enthusiasts by a massive motorsport enthusiast. Check it out: motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorsport-nerd
The Motorsport Nerd is now on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themotorsportnerd/?view..._for=239217863187708
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2017 17:53 - 26 May 2017 16:56 #7037 by porsche91722
porsche91722 replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd
Great article! I agree, wholeheartedly. As you said, it ain't nothin' new, they've tried it before, but motorsport has to come up with an idea that is going to get people coming back through the gates. Here in Australia, It's got a hell of a lot more competition on the sporting landscape than it used to. As a longtime motorsport fan, growing up watching a lot of different categories, it's always struck me of the many splintered groups that make up the motorsport world. If you could add up all the crowd attendances that get to Circuit Racing, Motorcycle Racing, Drags, Speedway etc every weekend across the country, you'd go close to knocking off many of those codes already mentioned in attendance figures. Unfortunately, as stand alone events, they don't rate on the crowd attendance figures scale.
Football has the main 4 codes in Australia. Cricket has Test, ODI's and T20. There's Netball, which is one of the biggest participant sports in Australia, now with a national competition and a fta TV deal. Hell, even Lawn Bowls get's a run on TV occasionally. There isn't any magic answer, but something different has to be given a go.
VASC's has one of the biggest suppliers of lighting towers and generators in Australia, as one of its major sponsors. The lights shouldn't be an issue.
Making entry much cheaper to attract families, having a 4 to 5 hour (max) program, plenty of reasonably priced food available on a Friday or Sat night and a much more compact program of events with minimum downtime between races, would go a long way to winning back some fans and attracting some new ones.
Plus the big one......attract more women. How you go about doing that, I wouldn't have a clue!! But it's long been recognized among the other sports, that if you can attract Mum and the kids or the GF, you've gone a long way towards winning the battle.

"At the end of the day, endurance racing is the ultimate test for man and machine and that hasn’t changed a bit in the last 50 years" - Chris Amon
porsche91722.wordpress.com/
Last Edit: 26 May 2017 16:56 by porsche91722.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2017 12:21 #7083 by Nardulas
Nardulas replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd
Agree completely mate, I went up to the "Fight In The Night" at QR last winter, and it was fantastic to watch. I was optimistic when the V8's had the format of two shorter races on Saturday and one longer race on Sunday that perhaps the second race on Saturday could be started right on sunset and race from twilight into full darkness. Ipswich is a wonderful layout to use at night as well, very easy for spectators to follow the cars around

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2017 15:14 #7086 by CP
CP replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd
Whilst night racing is very cool, I think for it to work at VASC level, they'd have to find the ideal balance between actual night racing (la Sarthe or Sebring after dark) and having it as floodlit as your local speedway (or Abu Dhabi/Singapore).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2017 09:14 #7164 by Axeman444
Axeman444 replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd

CP wrote: Whilst night racing is very cool, I think for it to work at VASC level, they'd have to find the ideal balance between actual night racing (la Sarthe or Sebring after dark) and having it as floodlit as your local speedway (or Abu Dhabi/Singapore).

Dare I say it... like they do in NASCAR. Still plenty of shadows at some of their night racing venues. Abu Dhabi/Singapore I find pointless. Its only on at night to escape some of the daytime temps, otherwise with all that floodlighting it may as well be 2pm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • James3592
  • James3592's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
More
02 Jun 2017 14:09 #7253 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd
A few thoughts on improving the enduro show:

motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorspor...2/Going-the-Distance

The Motorsport Nerd: A blog for all motorsport enthusiasts by a massive motorsport enthusiast. Check it out: motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorsport-nerd
The Motorsport Nerd is now on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themotorsportnerd/?view..._for=239217863187708
The following user(s) liked this post: Nardulas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2017 14:26 #7254 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd

James3592 wrote: A few thoughts on improving the enduro show:

motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorspor...2/Going-the-Distance

Great stuff James.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.
The following user(s) liked this post: James3592

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2017 14:55 #7256 by MatCoch
MatCoch replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd
Good piece and I like your thinking. If only it were that simple!

Media Manager at Australian GT, PR scribe for Audi Sport Customer Racing Australia, host of Pitpass.com podcast, part time hack for Speedcafe and Auto Action, and freelance Motorsport journo. Views and typos are my won and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer, or those I'll hold tomorrow....
The following user(s) liked this post: James3592

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2017 20:10 #7264 by SP2511
SP2511 replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd
Really neat article! Looking forward to more :)

Aspiring motorsport Journalist
Check out my blog for all the latest sportscar/GT and major motorsport happenings! paddockpassmedia.wordpress.com

LIKE my Facebook page to stay up to date- www.facebook.com/paddockpassmedia/
The following user(s) liked this post: James3592

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2017 21:57 #7267 by Nardulas
Nardulas replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd
Mate, that solution is far too sensible and logical. I'd love to see it if the planets could align and make it happen
The following user(s) liked this post: James3592

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • James3592
  • James3592's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
More
13 Jun 2017 12:58 #7536 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd

The Motorsport Nerd: A blog for all motorsport enthusiasts by a massive motorsport enthusiast. Check it out: motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorsport-nerd
The Motorsport Nerd is now on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themotorsportnerd/?view..._for=239217863187708
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2017 19:33 #7548 by Ryan Lee
Ryan Lee replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd

James3592 wrote: Here's my latest post:

motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorspor...Liveries-are-Lacking


Good piece! I don't deny that there have been some average liveries out and about over the last decade... But, the main thing with this is, as with most things, looks are VERY subjective. For instance, You love the "Green-Eyed Monster". I actually don't like it at all. I get what they were trying to do and sure, that ticks the box but it isn't my cup of tea. I spend a lot of time looking around at liveries. I think in Australia we actually have some of the best getting around (namely in AusGT) but there have been (for me) a fair few liveries that really excite me which i'm sure there are many out there who aren't interested in.

Things like the Jaguar F1 car. That green was just amazing! contrasted with the white it oozed the class that Jaguar strive to be. Not to mention there was some Aussie bloke steering one about.
When I think iconic, it has to be the Gulf liveries. But, there is a point where I LOVE the GTE Astons of late dressed up in the Gulf livery, but never liked the more iconic versions like the 917, even though i'm a huge fan of the Porsche itself.
Sticking to Astons, the #97 AMR GTE PRO Art car of 2013. A design competition winner for a Gulf competition which for me is definitely a stand out for Art cars in a while. Especially when comparing to BMW's last two.
Back on home soil, the last time i REALLY liked a Supercars livery was the 2012 HRT livery. Whilst a fair few of the AusGT liveries really stand out to me. Even if a little bias comes in, i'm a big fan of the #63 EMS AMG for many reasons, other then the fact that I designed it.

I think it's great though, EVERYBODY will agree and disagree on this topic. But, the good thing is sometimes learning cars you may or may not have enjoyed or known about. Talk to me about racing, even if I don't agree, It's still better then talking about anything else!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2017 20:45 #7551 by porsche91722
porsche91722 replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd
Must be something about tobacco sponsored cars, that they generally, all looked great. Marlboro, as you mentioned, the Rothmans liveried cars, in particular the 956 & 962 Porsche's, all the JPS cars, particularly the Lotus F1, & the Silk Cut Jags. The Lucky Strike livery didn't really do it for me though.

"At the end of the day, endurance racing is the ultimate test for man and machine and that hasn’t changed a bit in the last 50 years" - Chris Amon
porsche91722.wordpress.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2017 00:37 - 14 Jun 2017 00:40 #7553 by RedZedMikey
RedZedMikey replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd
Great article! Right at the heart of one of my motor sport loves – the visuals!

“Instead of putting out a killer livery, race teams are instead focusing on making their cars look as sponsor-friendly as possible, which don't get me wrong is understandable.”

Perhaps teams are taking the wrong approach though. Instead of just servicing the sponsor, and having slabs of sponsor logos amongst various coloured lines/blocks/shapes, creation of a “killer” livery whilst still doing justice to the main sponsor/s should surely be the better way to go? A great livery produces images which are so much more likely to be placed on social or professional media, and isn’t that the aim?

Perhaps it partly gets down to the personal interpretation of “killer” livery. For me, the best livery of all time is the relatively basic Gulf, from the GT40s and Porsches of the 60’s and 70’s, right thru to the Tockwith Motorsport LMP2 Ligier we will see at Le Mans next weekend. As maverick said in his post, “that livery never gets old!” Another plain but striking livery I like is the Jagermeister on burnt orange, used so effectively on some classics Beemers and Porsches over the past decades. I loved the Porsche 956 (962?) that was at the PI Historics a couple of years ago – and a Jagermeister 911 or M6 in GT3? Yes please!!! Another classic past livery of course was the JPS black and gold. Whether on an F1 Lotus or a Jim Richards BMW, it was a very distinctive and effective look.


As far as Oz liveries go, I loved the simplicity of the Maranello 488 at the B12 this year. The iconic Ferrari red plus the contrasting Momo in yellow, and the gold wheels – classic, and reminiscent of Ferraris going way back. Maybe not a detailed livery with colours, stripes and panels all over, but a great look. In a similar vein, I loved the Moffat XB Coupe and the DJR Sierras back in their days.

The cyan blue Volvo S60s run by GRM were a successful livery in my eyes. Although the same base theme has carried into the GRM Wilson Security Commodores, the big white block behind the Wilson name has destroyed the flow that the Volvo had with Valvoline. I also happen to like the relative simplicity of the Valvoline Jamec-Pem R8s doing so well in AGT this year.

You are right about wheels James. I bemoan the fact that V8SC went with a relatively plain control wheel, which so often is ignored as being a potential colour reference. I remember back to the gold centered/polished rims of one of the best looking DJR cars – the Greens’tuf XE, and wish that sort of individuality could be brought back. When Erebus released a render of the Beko sponsored AMG, with teal livery highlights, and teal rim / black centre wheels, I thought it looked great. The car that hit the track though, with its plain Jane silver wheels was totally underwhelming in the end. Sticking with Erebus, I reckon the use of the Penrite shade of gold on either the rim or the centre would add a lot to the look. Does the use of plain silver wheels get down to the ultimate in weight saving? Surely not, when so many use black wheels, and is the silver a paint anyway, or a natural finish? At least GT3 only has spec wheels for each separate model racing – they don’t have a whole field all running the same wheel.


Another facet of livery design is the race numbers. Barely noticeable now in F1, and completely separate from the livery on the VASC cars rear windows, I think that having the number in block, on the sides an bonnet or roof of cars adds so much purpose to the look of a race car. It turns them from a mobile advertising board to a race car! With some good artistic thought and reduction in design “bits and pieces”, sponsors can be given a purposeful race look. Would they rather have a sign that is a bit larger and boring, or a dseign that screams “race” at you? Once again, GT3 and sports cars series world wide have resisted that trend, and long may they continue to do so.

You may have worked out that I prefer simple designs to complicated, convoluted, unnecessarily fussy designs. PRA had the Pepsi Max Falcons a couple of years ago, and they did nothing for me at all. Hated them. Likewise, Chaz Mostert’s Supercheap Falcon became way too messy when the Castrol name was just thrown on the bonnet with a green block background. Some artistic endeavour could have created a more fluid look while doing justice to both sponsors. Cam Water’s Monster car is by far the best looker in the PRA garage – but even that could be improved with a rim stripe in Monster green adding that colour reference. There are exceptions to both my simple/complicated rules. I am not at all a fan of the relatively simple Red Bull look, wherever it is used. Yes, it has become iconic – but that doesn’t mean it is good! Conversely, the AF Corse design is not simple; has 6 colours and lines and curves going everywhere – but I love it!
Last Edit: 14 Jun 2017 00:40 by RedZedMikey.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • James3592
  • James3592's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
More
14 Jun 2017 13:22 #7563 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd

Ryan Lee wrote:
You love the "Green-Eyed Monster". I actually don't like it at all.


Wash your mouth out! ;)

the #97 AMR GTE PRO Art car of 2013. A design competition winner for a Gulf competition which for me is definitely a stand out for Art cars in a while.


That was my favourite one too. I loved it so much that I used it as the basis for my 1/12th pan-car livery this year (just with a few changes):


As everyone here says, it's all subjective. I just really hope we get another iconic livery soon. As I said at the end we're due for one.

The Motorsport Nerd: A blog for all motorsport enthusiasts by a massive motorsport enthusiast. Check it out: motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorsport-nerd
The Motorsport Nerd is now on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themotorsportnerd/?view..._for=239217863187708

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2017 14:15 #7565 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd

RedZedMikey wrote: Great article! Right at the heart of one of my motor sport loves – the visuals!

“Instead of putting out a killer livery, race teams are instead focusing on making their cars look as sponsor-friendly as possible, which don't get me wrong is understandable.”

Perhaps teams are taking the wrong approach though. Instead of just servicing the sponsor, and having slabs of sponsor logos amongst various coloured lines/blocks/shapes, creation of a “killer” livery whilst still doing justice to the main sponsor/s should surely be the better way to go? A great livery produces images which are so much more likely to be placed on social or professional media, and isn’t that the aim?

Perhaps it partly gets down to the personal interpretation of “killer” livery. For me, the best livery of all time is the relatively basic Gulf, from the GT40s and Porsches of the 60’s and 70’s, right thru to the Tockwith Motorsport LMP2 Ligier we will see at Le Mans next weekend. As maverick said in his post, “that livery never gets old!” Another plain but striking livery I like is the Jagermeister on burnt orange, used so effectively on some classics Beemers and Porsches over the past decades. I loved the Porsche 956 (962?) that was at the PI Historics a couple of years ago – and a Jagermeister 911 or M6 in GT3? Yes please!!! Another classic past livery of course was the JPS black and gold. Whether on an F1 Lotus or a Jim Richards BMW, it was a very distinctive and effective look.



As far as Oz liveries go, I loved the simplicity of the Maranello 488 at the B12 this year. The iconic Ferrari red plus the contrasting Momo in yellow, and the gold wheels – classic, and reminiscent of Ferraris going way back. Maybe not a detailed livery with colours, stripes and panels all over, but a great look. In a similar vein, I loved the Moffat XB Coupe and the DJR Sierras back in their days.

The cyan blue Volvo S60s run by GRM were a successful livery in my eyes. Although the same base theme has carried into the GRM Wilson Security Commodores, the big white block behind the Wilson name has destroyed the flow that the Volvo had with Valvoline. I also happen to like the relative simplicity of the Valvoline Jamec-Pem R8s doing so well in AGT this year.

You are right about wheels James. I bemoan the fact that V8SC went with a relatively plain control wheel, which so often is ignored as being a potential colour reference. I remember back to the gold centered/polished rims of one of the best looking DJR cars – the Greens’tuf XE, and wish that sort of individuality could be brought back. When Erebus released a render of the Beko sponsored AMG, with teal livery highlights, and teal rim / black centre wheels, I thought it looked great. The car that hit the track though, with its plain Jane silver wheels was totally underwhelming in the end. Sticking with Erebus, I reckon the use of the Penrite shade of gold on either the rim or the centre would add a lot to the look. Does the use of plain silver wheels get down to the ultimate in weight saving? Surely not, when so many use black wheels, and is the silver a paint anyway, or a natural finish? At least GT3 only has spec wheels for each separate model racing – they don’t have a whole field all running the same wheel.


Another facet of livery design is the race numbers. Barely noticeable now in F1, and completely separate from the livery on the VASC cars rear windows, I think that having the number in block, on the sides an bonnet or roof of cars adds so much purpose to the look of a race car. It turns them from a mobile advertising board to a race car! With some good artistic thought and reduction in design “bits and pieces”, sponsors can be given a purposeful race look. Would they rather have a sign that is a bit larger and boring, or a dseign that screams “race” at you? Once again, GT3 and sports cars series world wide have resisted that trend, and long may they continue to do so.

You may have worked out that I prefer simple designs to complicated, convoluted, unnecessarily fussy designs. PRA had the Pepsi Max Falcons a couple of years ago, and they did nothing for me at all. Hated them. Likewise, Chaz Mostert’s Supercheap Falcon became way too messy when the Castrol name was just thrown on the bonnet with a green block background. Some artistic endeavour could have created a more fluid look while doing justice to both sponsors. Cam Water’s Monster car is by far the best looker in the PRA garage – but even that could be improved with a rim stripe in Monster green adding that colour reference. There are exceptions to both my simple/complicated rules. I am not at all a fan of the relatively simple Red Bull look, wherever it is used. Yes, it has become iconic – but that doesn’t mean it is good! Conversely, the AF Corse design is not simple; has 6 colours and lines and curves going everywhere – but I love it!

Nice post Mike.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2017 16:46 #7587 by Nardulas
Nardulas replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd
Excellent topic, and we will all have different views on it. In recent times, my favourites were the 2013 GRM Bathurst livery (that metallic red looked stunning), and the 2014 Volvo was simple but effective. Clearwater Racing always had their Ferrari's looking stunning. And I may be completely biased (because I have one as a daily drive), but the Conroy Motorsport Kia I could spend all day looking at

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • James3592
  • James3592's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
More
30 Jun 2017 14:27 #7771 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd
Could motorsport make it at the Olympics?

motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorspor...06/30/Going-for-Gold

The Motorsport Nerd: A blog for all motorsport enthusiasts by a massive motorsport enthusiast. Check it out: motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorsport-nerd
The Motorsport Nerd is now on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themotorsportnerd/?view..._for=239217863187708

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • James3592
  • James3592's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
More
05 Jul 2017 16:10 #7921 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd
My thoughts on the GT rule. I've posted this in the CAMS controlling the local GT scene thread too.

Happy reading. :)

motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorspor.../The-Great-GT-Debate

The Motorsport Nerd: A blog for all motorsport enthusiasts by a massive motorsport enthusiast. Check it out: motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorsport-nerd
The Motorsport Nerd is now on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themotorsportnerd/?view..._for=239217863187708
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Nardulas, SP2511

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2017 12:52 #8098 by SP2511
SP2511 replied the topic: The Motorsport Nerd
Hey James, I have tried to contact you through your Facebook page but it seems my messages aren't getting to you. Is there another way we could get in touch?

Aspiring motorsport Journalist
Check out my blog for all the latest sportscar/GT and major motorsport happenings! paddockpassmedia.wordpress.com

LIKE my Facebook page to stay up to date- www.facebook.com/paddockpassmedia/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum