Mount Panorama photography guide.

More
09 Jan 2018 00:09 #10226 by BRP
BRP replied the topic: Mount Panorama photography guide.
Mayhem or Mav are you guys aware if you can access the inside of the track? What I mean by that is not inside fencing (unless accredited) but walking or driving up from say the paddock campground to get photos from a different perspective etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mayhem
  • mayhem's Avatar Topic Author
More
09 Jan 2018 00:23 #10227 by mayhem
mayhem replied the topic: Mount Panorama photography guide.
Yes mate, Inside of T1, a bit of mountain straight, and the inside of the chase all accessible. On top of pits also accessible.

Photographer for hire.

More
09 Jan 2018 00:25 #10229 by BRP
Thanks mate. I'm assuming right at the top of the mountain isn't? Just trying to work on a game plan for the whole weekend etc and as you know try and get shots that others haven't or have thought of etc.

More
10 Jan 2018 02:40 #10235 by RedZedMikey
RedZedMikey replied the topic: Mount Panorama photography guide.
BRP, there are good shots to be had at the top. The highest point is probably McPhillamy into Skyline, and there are places where safety fences don't interfere, or only offer minimal interference, without having accreditation for the "best" side of the fence. Here are a couple from over the years ...
The Erebus Merc is at the Esses, where they have now started going downhill.
The 3 Bentleys are at the start of the Esses, just around from Skyline.
There are plenty of opportunities for pan shots with varying backgrounds.
Climbing down from the Dipper, Forrest's Elbow offers a range of different angles to shoot from.
Unfortunately, safety fencing has taken away the head on shot climbing up at Reid Park with the Bathurst farms down below, and I think the Michelin sign is out of play for us too, now. Unless Mr Mayhem knows of a narrow gap to position yourself in!

Unfortunately, after 6 years straight, it looks like I won't be there this year.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Richo

More
10 Jan 2018 11:48 #10244 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: Mount Panorama photography guide.
Hope you make it Mike, be good to see you again

More
10 Jan 2018 11:50 #10245 by BRP

RedZedMikey wrote: BRP, there are good shots to be had at the top. The highest point is probably McPhillamy into Skyline, and there are places where safety fences don't interfere, or only offer minimal interference, without having accreditation for the "best" side of the fence. Here are a couple from over the years ...
Climbing down from the Dipper, Forrest's Elbow offers a range of different angles to shoot from.
Unfortunately, safety fencing has taken away the head on shot climbing up at Reid Park with the Bathurst farms down below, and I think the Michelin sign is out of play for us too, now. Unless Mr Mayhem knows of a narrow gap to position yourself in!

Unfortunately, after 6 years straight, it looks like I won't be there this year.

Thanks mate. Love your work.

• mayhem
More
10 Jan 2018 12:38 #10247 by mayhem

RedZedMikey wrote: BRP, there are good shots to be had at the top. The highest point is probably McPhillamy into Skyline, and there are places where safety fences don't interfere, or only offer minimal interference, without having accreditation for the "best" side of the fence. Here are a couple from over the years ...

Unfortunately two of those great pics from Mikey aren't possible anymore, as there are no gaps in the fencing from Reid to around McPhillamy, not even for accredited photographers despite protestations when the fence first went up from the pro guys. The necessity for that fence is bit of a mystery to me, but its there now... You can position yourself at the beginning of Reid, just near the flag marshal point, but its still not possible to get that classic shot with the now Fujitsu sign (used to be Michelin) and the town of Bathurst in the background like in Mikeys example,

As you guessed BRP, the inside of the track isnt accessible anywhere except around the lower part of the circuit near the paddock.

Photographer for hire.
The following user(s) liked this post: BRP

More
10 Jan 2018 23:17 #10260 by BRP

mayhem wrote:

Unfortunately two of those great pics from Mikey aren't possible anymore, as there are no gaps in the fencing from Reid to around McPhillamy, not even for accredited photographers despite protestations when the fence first went up from the pro guys. The necessity for that fence is bit of a mystery to me, but its there now... You can position yourself at the beginning of Reid, just near the flag marshal point, but its still not possible to get that classic shot with the now Fujitsu sign (used to be Michelin) and the town of Bathurst in the background like in Mikeys example,

As you guessed BRP, the inside of the track isnt accessible anywhere except around the lower part of the circuit near the paddock.

Thank you mate. I thought as much. Which is a shame as I reckon there are some great spots you could get some awesome photos from a different perspective.
The following user(s) liked this post: mayhem

• mayhem
More
11 Jan 2018 09:19 #10268 by mayhem
Yep, 100%, but saying that, you're only limited by your imagination at Mount Panorama, theres a million different angles and possibilities. :)

Photographer for hire.

More
15 Jan 2018 20:18 #10306 by Martyjack97
Martyjack97 replied the topic: Mount Panorama photography guide.
An update for the Dipper.

Since the Mega crash from last years 12 Hour with the Always Evolving Nissan R35 the organisors have installed tire barriers on the outside wall to prevent serious damage to cars if something like that were to happen again. I initially thought this wouldn't change anything in terms of photo quality but since I went to last years Bathurst 1000 the dipper is ruined for taking photos.

The tire wall is actually higher than the concrete wall so the holes in the fence are pointless because all you can shoot is mainly tire wall. Unless anyone is prepared to climb the fence and hang on whilst shooting, its much more difficult to shoot the dipper.

• Miguel
  • GT REPORT
More
15 Jan 2018 20:50 #10307 by Miguel
Miguel replied the topic: Mount Panorama photography guide.

Martyjack97 wrote: An update for the Dipper.

Unless anyone is prepared to climb the fence and hang on whilst shooting, its much more difficult to shoot the dipper.

I certainly hope this is tongue-in-cheek lol.
The following user(s) liked this post: Martyjack97

More
15 Jan 2018 21:50 #10308 by Martyjack97
I know because I was hanging on one hand on the fence and the other holding the camera. Looked so stupid and I wasn't even worth it lol!

• mayhem
More
16 Jan 2018 12:37 #10316 by mayhem
Of course, if you're 6ft 5, its not much of a problem. ;)

Welcome to the forum Jack, for those that haven't, check out Jack's instafeed at @martyjack97, just an epic look at car racing from behind his lens, including some amazing shots from this years Rally Oz.

Photographer for hire.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, James3592, Pierre, BRP, Martyjack97

More
16 Jan 2018 17:06 #10319 by Martyjack97
Thanks for making me welcome! Happy to join the forum!
The following user(s) liked this post: Pierre

More
16 Jan 2018 17:07 #10320 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: Mount Panorama photography guide.

Martyjack97 wrote: Thanks for making me welcome! Happy to join the forum!

Thanks for joining us complete with your quality advice and work.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

More
16 Jan 2018 17:56 #10321 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: Mount Panorama photography guide.

Martyjack97 wrote: An update for the Dipper.

Since the Mega crash from last years 12 Hour with the Always Evolving Nissan R35 the organisors have installed tire barriers on the outside wall to prevent serious damage to cars if something like that were to happen again. I initially thought this wouldn't change anything in terms of photo quality but since I went to last years Bathurst 1000 the dipper is ruined for taking photos.

The tire wall is actually higher than the concrete wall so the holes in the fence are pointless because all you can shoot is mainly tire wall. Unless anyone is prepared to climb the fence and hang on whilst shooting, its much more difficult to shoot the dipper.

That stinks. The dipper's one of my favourite places to snap race cars from.

More
16 Jan 2018 20:37 - 16 Jan 2018 20:37 #10322 by BRP

mayhem wrote: Of course, if you're 6ft 5, its not much of a problem. ;)

Welcome to the forum Jack, for those that haven't, check out Jack's instafeed at @martyjack97, just an epic look at car racing from behind his lens, including some amazing shots from this years Rally Oz.

Already given him a like. Stalked him getting ideas for the NSW Rally event being held in April at Oberon.

Keep up the great work Marty.
Last Edit: 16 Jan 2018 20:37 by BRP.

More
26 Jan 2018 13:48 #10493 by BRP
Question for the experienced guys. When it becomes really bright and sunny do you guys use neutral density filters?

Just preparing everything I need for the weekend.

• Miguel
  • GT REPORT
More
26 Jan 2018 21:06 #10495 by Miguel
Miguel replied the topic: Mount Panorama photography guide.

BRP wrote: Question for the experienced guys. When it becomes really bright and sunny do you guys use neutral density filters?

CPL filter. You need to buy yourself a high quality CPL filter. Best decision you'll ever make.

More
26 Jan 2018 22:29 #10497 by BRP

Miguel wrote:

BRP wrote: Question for the experienced guys. When it becomes really bright and sunny do you guys use neutral density filters?

CPL filter. You need to buy yourself a high quality CPL filter. Best decision you'll ever make.

Thanks mate. Done karting only in bright daylight but always looking to get better and have better looking shots.

I'll look into it.

Time to create page: 0.410 seconds