2017 VASC.

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 Feb 2017 10:59 #4957 by maverick
maverick created the topic: 2018 VASC.
Not long until the start of their season.
What's your take on the upcoming year ?

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2017 11:51 - 18 Feb 2017 11:55 #4961 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: 2018 VASC.
Some good liveries this year. I really like the Blanchard, Slade and Lowndes cars so far.

Can't wait for Newcastle in November!

The Motorsport Nerd: A blog for all motorsport enthusiasts by a massive motorsport enthusiast. Check it out: motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorsport-nerd
The Motorsport Nerd is now on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themotorsportnerd/?view..._for=239217863187708
Last Edit: 18 Feb 2017 11:55 by maverick.

More
18 Feb 2017 20:04 #4977 by mayhem
mayhem replied the topic: 2018 VASC.
I'll let you know after Tuesday. ;)

That's a nice photo. You must have a good camera.

How come no one ever says, 'that was a nice meal, you must have a good oven'.

More
18 Feb 2017 21:17 #4981 by Ryan Lee
Ryan Lee replied the topic: 2018 VASC.
I think whilst you will have all the usual candidates up there, I'm really looking forward to that inter-team holden battle between BJR - WR - GRM. Could be good!

I'll also be interested to see if we will see any games from the WR boys on out laps for qualy etc through the year with Tander coming out of the garage right after them ;)

Ford need to be doing some miracle dance to hope this new dunlop works for them, they definitely can't afford another 2016. I think the future commitment for Gen2 will depend on it. Frosty / Mostert and Scotty Mac SHOULD be very quick, but if they languish like they did last year its just not good for the category.

The departure of Simon McNamara from the Holden den could also hurt the future of the manufacturer in Supercars. I'm sure Dane would have been smart enough to ensure the future somewhat before committing a fair whack of money and effort into becoming the sole dealer for Holden from 2018.

There is a fair few unknowns, like, who will drive the other LDM car. But the last few years the category has seen my interests lowered a bit, still wont miss a lap however ;)

As for liveries.... (DISCLAIMER*** MY OPINION)

RBHRT (SVG & JDub) - Not a fan

Team Vortex (Lowndes) - I like it, certainly a bit of a step up on last year. the white punches out the logos.

Walkinshaw - (JC & Pye) - I'm not going to say i don't like it. It's a good lookin bus, but, to me it just screams the test livery from HRT a year or two back

Bottle-o (Frosty) - Same shit, different year. I only liked this livery when it was mostly green with a punch of black. this to me looks like every other one they have released.

Preston Hire (Holdsworth) - BOLD! I like how it kind of punches you in the face. There isn't much to it but i think it works. Value for money for the sponsors thats for sure!

GRM (GT & Moff) - This works so well. Simple as a redneck in Utah but its very effective! (really not sure about the plane in the launch photos though, random... Horrible lighting colour choice too)

BJR / Freightliner (Slade) - I think i need this one to grow on me. I was let down initially. Just didn't seem to work. White, which i dont mind on a race car, but seeing as one of the main colours is a light silver, just doesn't pop like the caltex livery.

BJR (Percat) - This works, bright, effective. good lookin simple livery. Not sure how long it will be on the car though due to the Clipsal sponsorship but it will do.

The following user(s) liked this post: Carcoyote

More
18 Feb 2017 21:26 #4982 by Ryan Lee
DJRTP (Scotty Mac & Fabs) - Good mix of historic and modern. typical shell livery which stands out. I liked the livery changes last year (and the year before) but it will be nice to see a good design stick on it. Certainly beats the crap out of the other early "sneak peak" images that they showed.

Nissan (SDS) - Cant remember seeing much of this one actually... but from this image its a good colour and shape. it works. hopefully the driver picks it up quickly and keeps it off the walls for the boys at Nissan.

BJR (Blanchard) - I really like what he has done, buying the REC to keep his family company in the sport. Top stuff. Will be nice to see a predominantly blue car on the grid. Hopefully he hits his personal goals and hangs around another year.

Erebus (Reynolds & Wood) - Firstly, the #9 machine. They had a competition for this car. I didn't enter it but i saw a few of the finalists. There were some seriously good designs in there. The final 2 came down to a Pro (which i figured shouldn't have entered on the grounds that its what he does professionally) and a Father and son duo. Both were good but obviously the Pro had it in strides. I REALLY liked that design. Now, for one reason or another, they didn't use either. They made the front look nice then just stuck a massive Penrite logo on the side??? I'm confused.

Then, Dale Woods... For me, probably my favourite. I'm not sure who did the design but seeing as i loved last years on the Nissan and it was done by Tim Pattinson i would probably hedge my bets that its his work. I personally rate his work as some of the best in the country, more often then not, internationally too.

So, thats my thoughts on 2017 with the info we have at hand.

Bring on the racing!
Attachments:
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Richo, Pierre, Carcoyote

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 Feb 2017 21:42 #4984 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2018 VASC.
Awesome stuff Ryan.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

More
19 Feb 2017 11:12 #4996 by Ryan Lee
Nissan Motorsport (Caruso) - This is quite different. But i like it. The entire field is going to look fairly different this year, i cant wait till Clipsal to see them on track again. After last year, i wont be going back in a hurry though ;) I'll just watch it from the comfort of my couch at home!

Attachments:

More
19 Feb 2017 12:07 #5002 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2018 VASC.
I really like the HRT livery and also the GRM Commodores, I'm keeping an eye on Tanders return to GRM, it's a bit of family reunion so I'm hoping he gets a second win and does well.
The following user(s) liked this post: Ryan Lee

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 Feb 2017 14:59 - 19 Feb 2017 15:03 #5008 by maverick
Whilst not my favourite category, I watch from when I get home early afternoon on Friday until it's all finished and will do so again this year.
Looking forward to attending SMP once again.
Thinking the title will be battled out between SVG and Whincup, but don't care as long as it goes to the wire.
Scotty Mac to be the X factor and put in some great performances with Frosty, JC, CL and Chaz to stand on the top step occasionally.

Last Edit: 19 Feb 2017 15:03 by maverick.

More
20 Feb 2017 08:06 #5033 by Kytabu
Kytabu replied the topic: 2018 VASC.
It's going to suck not seeing the Volvos running around, that's for sure :(.

Expecting another Triple Eight championship fight, though hopefully the changes to the tyres will mix it up a bit in the early rounds.

More
20 Feb 2017 11:36 #5037 by Carcoyote
Carcoyote replied the topic: 2018 VASC.
A very short one!

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 Feb 2017 17:10 - 20 Feb 2017 17:10 #5044 by maverick
I'll go out on a limb and say that they'll give it to her :P

www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rc...6fNa4VyBmNmPxkeObMiA

Last Edit: 20 Feb 2017 17:10 by maverick.

More
21 Feb 2017 12:37 #5059 by Nardulas
Nardulas replied the topic: 2018 VASC.
New tyre test in Sydney today, haven't really had a look at it yet but I've been told Triple 8 were towards the top of the times early. Looks like season 2017 is headed the same way as seasons past.

I'm just hoping for a bit of variety this season, a good mix of race winners, and hopefully nothing too predictable

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
21 Feb 2017 16:12 - 21 Feb 2017 16:14 #5063 by maverick
Bairdo appointed new DSO and bye bye to the redress rule.

www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rc...ZuAtsathz6kC0LjqbUJw

Last Edit: 21 Feb 2017 16:14 by maverick.

More
21 Feb 2017 20:12 #5074 by Kytabu
Kytabu replied the topic: 2018 VASC.
Shouldn't read too much into today's times, but de Silvestro seems to be doing alright, sitting in between Frosty and Pye at the end of the day.

Chahda and Aaren Russell both drove the #3. I guess Russell will take the ride with Plus Fitness sponsorship...can't see Chahda getting dispensation for the Super Dooper Licence.

Gallery of the liveries:
www.supercars.com/news/championship/gall...ney-motorsport-park/

GRM are by far the best looking! :P

More
22 Feb 2017 13:09 #5090 by mayhem
Through the lens these are the three best liveries IMO:

The following user(s) liked this post: RedZedMikey, StueyB83

More
28 Feb 2017 13:09 #5203 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: 2018 VASC.
I've put together a preview for the year ahead:

motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorspor...17-Supercars-Preview

The Motorsport Nerd: A blog for all motorsport enthusiasts by a massive motorsport enthusiast. Check it out: motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorsport-nerd
The Motorsport Nerd is now on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themotorsportnerd/?view..._for=239217863187708
The following user(s) liked this post: Pierre

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
28 Feb 2017 14:19 #5207 by maverick

James3592 wrote: I've put together a preview for the year ahead:

Well done mate.

More
28 Feb 2017 16:14 #5209 by mayhem

Good read mate, message me if you want some pics for that article.

More
28 Feb 2017 23:20 #5219 by Nardulas
Nardulas replied the topic: 2018 VASC.

Good read, I look forward to checking in throughout the season
The following user(s) liked this post: James3592

Time to create page: 0.375 seconds