2017 WEC.

More
03 Aug 2017 10:05 - 03 Aug 2017 10:06 #8392 by TCR
TCR replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
Interesting Speedcafe interview with Earl Bamber saying that with Porsche withdrawing from LMP1, he's hoping they will focus more on the GT stuff and factory support for events such as the Bathurst 12hr. Wonder if we'll ever see a factory backed effort at the 12hr?

www.speedcafe.com/2017/08/03/bamber-eyei...rsche-lmp1-sign-off/
Last Edit: 03 Aug 2017 10:06 by TCR.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Miguel
  • GT REPORT
More
03 Aug 2017 15:17 #8396 by Miguel
Miguel replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
Walkinshaw Racing was factory-backed.

More
03 Aug 2017 15:47 #8397 by TCR
TCR replied the topic: 2017 WEC.

Miguel wrote: Walkinshaw Racing was factory-backed.

Of course, how did I forget that :S

More
04 Aug 2017 20:30 #8402 by CP
CP replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
I was reading the race report in the current Auto Action and I'm not sure whether I should be surprised or not that a P2 is third overall in points.

More
02 Sep 2017 08:23 #8705 by CP
Ch ch ch changes.

Next years WEC will look very, very different, and not only because there may only be one manufacturer in P1.

www.dailysportscar.com/2017/09/01/fia-we...ndar-for-201819.html

In short:

*18 month calendar
*No Silverstone, CoTA, Mehico, Bahrain or the Nurburgring
*Sebring 12 Hour returns for 2019, but will be a 12 Hour race starting just after the IMSA Sebring race finishes.

More
02 Sep 2017 09:44 #8706 by Shane001
Shane001 replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
18mth calendar and no Silverstone - FAIL!

• Richo
  • Away
More
02 Sep 2017 09:54 #8707 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
Good to see WEC back at Sebring but I have serious concerns about two back to back 12hr races, you're gonna have to find marshals and other staff for both races too. Looks like theyre trying to do their own 12hrs of Sebring which is a bit lame, there can ony be one and IMSA has that now.

Overall I think theyre in a holding pattern trying to keep the lights on until they get more manufacturers back into P1

• The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
  • The conversationalist formally known as Goat69's Avatar
More
02 Sep 2017 10:48 #8710 by The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
And trying to create parity in p1 between hybrid and non. Sounds like hybrid is going to go. Lots of money to invest for fuel saving ability.

Baron Peck Peckington III

More
02 Sep 2017 14:45 #8714 by CP
Back to back Sebring 12 Hours (one for IMSA, one for WEC) makes it seem like that a high ranking ACO member is quite the fan of late 90s Australian Rugby League and Motorsport.

More
02 Sep 2017 17:38 #8716 by Ryan Lee
Ryan Lee replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
I'm not worried about back to back 12 hour races, there's no difference to having a 24 hour race. I'm a massive Sebring fan so more racing there is fine with me!!

The whole thing seems crazy though. No Silverstone is to be expected. But, doubling down on Spa and 24hr Le Mans? WTF? Le Mans is obviously a terrific race, but 2 in one season? Then what for the following season? I haven't had a chance to read in depth much of the articles but this whole idea seems totally crazy to me.

Why not start in September and finish with the finale as Le Mans? Run through the summer seasons, you could even do events in Asia with using the ALMS as a support card as they too run over the summer period. Would mean less chance of a monsoonal weather period during Fuji thats for sure.

I don't know, i guess they're in an interesting predicament, hopefully it all works out in the next couple of years.

More
02 Sep 2017 19:19 #8717 by RedZedMikey
RedZedMikey replied the topic: 2017 WEC.

Ryan Lee wrote: Why not start in September and finish with the finale as Le Mans? Run through the summer seasons, you could even do events in Asia with using the ALMS as a support card as they too run over the summer period. Would mean less chance of a monsoonal weather period during Fuji thats for sure.

Ryan, I guess that is where they are heading to, instead of a calendar year championship. But to do that, they have to have either a 6 month or an 18 month season. Come 2019 it looks like they will open the season with Fuji in October, and close the season with Le Mans in June 2020.

What the article doesn't say is why they are doing this ...

More
02 Sep 2017 20:45 #8719 by CP

RedZedMikey wrote:

Ryan Lee wrote: Why not start in September and finish with the finale as Le Mans? Run through the summer seasons, you could even do events in -Asia with using the ALMS as a support card as they too run over the summer period. Would mean less chance of a monsoonal weather period during Fuji thats for sure.

Ryan, I guess that is where they are heading to, instead of a calendar year championship. But to do that, they have to have either a 6 month or an 18 month season. Come 2019 it looks like they will open the season with Fuji in October, and close the season with Le Mans in June 2020.

What the article doesn't say is why they are doing this ...

Is it a series on life support?

Ford have resigned Ganassi to run the Ford GTs in 2018/19, which fits in well for the WEC .

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
03 Sep 2017 07:47 #8724 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2017 WEC.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

More
03 Sep 2017 12:19 #8725 by Shane001
Shane001 replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
Interesting read and makes some sense of it, will be interesting to see how the transition works.

From reading this it sounds like there are a few more LMP1 teams in the works, allowing both hybrid and non hybrid to compete alongside is a good thing, they really need at least 3 or 4 manufacturers for LMP1 to really be viable.

• Richo
  • Away
More
17 Sep 2017 12:09 #8947 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
Didnt any watch COTA this morning?

Ive just watched the highlights and it looked a decent race with battles in all four classes.

Clearwater came second in GT AM which was great to see after what happened in Mexico City.

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
02 Oct 2017 13:59 #9068 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2017 WEC.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

Time to create page: 0.277 seconds