2017 WEC.

• Miguel
  • GT REPORT
More
11 May 2017 03:23 #6729 by Miguel
Miguel replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2017 20:28 #6763 by Ryan Lee
Ryan Lee replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
Interesting listening to the Radio Le Mans crew predicting a possible future in the 5 to 10 year range of GT being the outright category at Le Mans.

• Miguel
  • GT REPORT
More
13 May 2017 04:21 #6766 by Miguel
Miguel replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
The way things are going now, I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case. And I wouldn't mind one bit.

More
13 May 2017 10:48 - 13 May 2017 10:49 #6767 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
I cant see it happening in five years but ten yeah definitely. Especially if costs dont become cheaper for LMP1.

As much as I love GT racing those spaceships LMP1 are pretty cool, they interest me much more then an F1 car but the level of spending is not sustainable in this economy. That time has passed. Even Peugeot who are looking at coming back will only come back if costs come down. But if you slow the cars down, dumb them down for lack of a better word then Porsche and Toyota will be kind've shafted in that they've poured untold hundreds of millions into the sport over the last few years. They've supported the class and I can understand their unhappiness at a change in rules to accomadate the company that pulled the pin at the start of the inaugural WEC season.

But regardless of that. Costs have to come down and that will be a major part in whether the category survives the next decade. Dont forget the privateer LMP1 coming onboard next year, maybe that could be the saviour of the category if and when the factories pull out. It would be fantastic to revisit the first decade of 2000 when the privateers outnumbered the factory cars in the premier class.

With all this said-sportscar racing goes in cycles, boom and bust, rinse and repeat.
Last Edit: 13 May 2017 10:49 by Richo.

More
13 May 2017 18:47 - 13 May 2017 18:51 #6772 by porsche91722
porsche91722 replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
You are absolutely spot on with those comments Rich. As with a lot of us who have followed sports car racing for a considerable number of years, it's a boom or bust game. Like you, I love the LMP1 cars as they have evolved in recent years but the bubble has to burst eventually.
I wouldn't have an issue if tomorrow, the current LMP2 class, with a wider range of engines became the new LMP1. Development in that class would go crazy overnight. We'd see more manufacturers enter pretty well immediately. We saw what Porsche achieved with the P2 RS Spyder, back in the ALMS days, in taking on and being more than competitive with the LMP1 Audi's. Sure....different set of rules back then, but even the current P2's are up there with the P1 times of a few years ago, at certain tracks.
Something has to give, and I think it will be sooner, rather than later.

"At the end of the day, endurance racing is the ultimate test for man and machine and that hasn’t changed a bit in the last 50 years" - Chris Amon
porsche91722.wordpress.com/
Last Edit: 13 May 2017 18:51 by porsche91722.

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Jul 2017 11:27 #8126 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2017 WEC.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

More
17 Jul 2017 09:08 #8139 by Richo
I missed most of the race due to my body deciding it needed sleep instead of sportscars but woke up to find out AF Corse had won GT Pro and Clearwater were still leading GT Am even with the race they had last night so Im pretty happy :)

More
21 Jul 2017 22:21 - 21 Jul 2017 22:22 #8210 by SP2511
SP2511 replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
NEW IMAGES SURFACE OF BMW'S 2018 M8 GTE

We've all seen images, but lets talk the real thing.
Find out all you need to know about BMW's 2018 Le Mans 24 Hours Challenger right here ->

paddockpassmedia.wordpress.com/2017/07/2...-for-the-first-time/

Aspiring motorsport Journalist
Check out my blog for all the latest sportscar/GT and major motorsport happenings! paddockpassmedia.wordpress.com

LIKE my Facebook page to stay up to date- www.facebook.com/paddockpassmedia/
Last Edit: 21 Jul 2017 22:22 by SP2511.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Pierre

More
21 Jul 2017 22:41 #8212 by Pierre
Pierre replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
^ Nice :)
The following user(s) liked this post: SP2511

More
28 Jul 2017 00:16 #8312 by CP
CP replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
There are reports suggesting that Porsche are waving bon voyage at the end of this LMP1 season.

Is that the death knell for WEC?

More
28 Jul 2017 04:08 #8313 by RedZedMikey
RedZedMikey replied the topic: 2017 WEC.

CP wrote: There are reports suggesting that Porsche are waving bon voyage at the end of this LMP1 season.

Not sure it would be the death knell for WEC, but it might be the temporary end of LMP1. If Porsche go, Toyota's investment becomes pretty meaningless. LMP2 is reasonably strong, as is GTE. I don't see how LMP2 can become the premier class though, while the Gibson V8 is the only permitted engine.

An alternative to the current LMP1 seems to be the answer; something a bit more simple and less expensive. The mantra about it being a virtual R&D exercise for manufacturers would be OK if the entries were more numerous and more varied - but they aren't, so change it or lose it.

More
28 Jul 2017 09:37 #8317 by CP

RedZedMikey wrote:

CP wrote: There are reports suggesting that Porsche are waving bon voyage at the end of this LMP1 season.

Not sure it would be the death knell for WEC, but it might be the temporary end of LMP1. If Porsche go, Toyota's investment becomes pretty meaningless. LMP2 is reasonably strong, as is GTE. I don't see how LMP2 can become the premier class though, while the Gibson V8 is the only permitted engine.

An alternative to the current LMP1 seems to be the answer; something a bit more simple and less expensive. The mantra about it being a virtual R&D exercise for manufacturers would be OK if the entries were more numerous and more varied - but they aren't, so change it or lose it.

Could it survive as a world championship with the Collin and the Ginettas?

There is one other option, but I can't see the ACO conceding on that one.

More
28 Jul 2017 10:37 #8321 by Richo
Isnt there a rule that there has to be two factories in P1 for it to be a world championship?

I cant see the FIA or ACO having LMP1 Privateers as their top class in the WEC. Its like the olden days of ELMS/LMS P1 when you had Lola, Courage, Oreca, Zytek, Creation, Pescarolo, Dome, Ginetta etc in P1, if youre not a sportscar fan those companies are not on your radar regardless of how cool the cars are. That might be fine for ELMS but not for a World Championship unfortunately.

More
28 Jul 2017 15:16 #8326 by Richo
Its official. Porsche to leave at the end of the season and do Formula E in 2019.

sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/porsche-conf...it-at-end-of-season/

What a shame. :(

More
28 Jul 2017 16:20 #8329 by CP
Surely there is a Toyota announcement in the very near future? Unless they are interested in competing against Toyota powered privateers?

More
28 Jul 2017 18:04 #8332 by porsche91722
Black day for Porsche fans. It's been a great few years, with them doing everything they set out to do in the WEC.
You know the thing that pisses me off the most........Porsche going to Formula E. What a fucking joke. Formula E......They've gotta be kidding.
I may be old school when it comes to motor sport, but Formula E has to be the most boring, uninteresting race series in the world. Rubbish racing on uninspiring street circuits (or the ones that I've forced myself to watch, before the pain became too much), silent cars, stupid rules etc etc. It's only saving grace is some fine drivers racing in it.
With the news being leaked over the last couple of days and the rumors flying around since Le Mans, like the Audi exit, it wasn't totally unexpected, but still enough to make me curl up in the foetal position in the corner and have a little man cry this afternoon.
Never mind.....with the Spa24H on this weekend, I think I'll get over it by race start tomorrow night.
Seriously though.....P1 is going to be a bit sad next year. The ACO may have to go, cap in hand to IMSA, begging for a few DPi's to turn up. I can't see Ginetta, ORECA or who ever else is harboring plans of privateer LMP1's to get their act together by 2018 season start.
Although having followed sports car racing for a long time, it's always been volatile, with either boom or bust times.
Interesting times ahead.

"At the end of the day, endurance racing is the ultimate test for man and machine and that hasn’t changed a bit in the last 50 years" - Chris Amon
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Pierre

More
29 Jul 2017 08:39 #8341 by CP
It will be interesting to see what the ACO will do after the Porsche and possible Toyota withdrawal, but GTE looks very healthy with Ford, Aston martin, Porsche, Ferrari and from next year, BMW in a proper GTE spec car.

More
02 Aug 2017 20:01 #8388 by SP2511
SP2511 replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
LMP1: Where to from here?

A great article here by James (The Motorsport Nerd) on a cool website B)

Check it out! ->
paddockpassmedia.wordpress.com/2017/08/0...-where-to-from-here/

Aspiring motorsport Journalist
Check out my blog for all the latest sportscar/GT and major motorsport happenings! paddockpassmedia.wordpress.com

LIKE my Facebook page to stay up to date- www.facebook.com/paddockpassmedia/
The following user(s) liked this post: James3592

More
02 Aug 2017 20:48 #8389 by porsche91722
OK....not everyone has the benefit (of sorts :) ) from being around following sports car racing for as long as me. I don't mean to say that with any arrogance, but simply from seeing the top class, be it either LMP1, LMP900, GT1, C1, GTP, Group 5 or whatever it was called, depending on how far back in history you want to go. Which also means that I'm on the wrong side of ancient these days. But really.....There's been so much of a carry on, over the last few days after the Porsche exit, from the worlds motor sport media and anyone else who wanted to have their 2 bobs worth, you'd think that a manufacturer or team had never pulled the pin from racing before. Hell.....Porsche have done it a few times themselves. Audi did it after their brilliant run. Toyota are gonna be out of there shortly too! There's no point in them hanging around. In fact, as you suggested in your great article, they're on a hiding to nothing if they stay.
There was no one more disappointed than me when the Porsche news broke the other day, but life goes on. In fact, I'd go as far to say, that it could be a blessing in disguise for the top category in LMP racing. Whether it's LMP1 privateers, a more open version of LMP2/DPi or something else, who knows! But I'll just about put the house on it.....there'll be a top line entry list at Le Mans and in the WEC next year, one way or another, and you know what? There will be just as much interest, in fact, probably more so. The ACO needed a bomb put under them after the way they arrogantly let LMP1 go down this ridiculously out of control cost class that has only allowed the big factory teams to enter these rocket ships. Magnificent as they were, better than F1 imo, it was a recipe for disaster.

The following user(s) liked this post: SP2511

More
03 Aug 2017 08:39 #8391 by Richo

porsche91722 wrote: The ACO needed a bomb put under them after the way they arrogantly let LMP1 go down this ridiculously out of control cost class that has only allowed the big factory teams to enter these rocket ships. Magnificent as they were, better than F1 imo, it was a recipe for disaster.

Aint that the truth. As spectacular as they were to watch, that type of spending was not sustainable for long especially in todays economy and to let that go on thinking that it was going to last was pretty stupid of the ACO. Likewise the treatment of LMP1 privateers like Rebellion who usually stick around even when the factories come and go. Its too late for Rebellion, they've gone to LMP2 which wasn't a bad decision at all. Hopefully we see the privateer LMP1 ranks pickup from next year onwards with a number of projects in the pipeline but out of those only Ginetta and possibly SMP seem like actually happening

Time to create page: 0.306 seconds