2017 WEC.

More
04 Apr 2017 21:08 #5972 by NickFoster13
NickFoster13 replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
Hi All,
First forum, so take it easy on me. 2017 FIA WEC with Gulf racing in a 2015 spec 991 RSR.
I've just returned from the Prologue at Monza. 2 days, 14 hours of on track activity. We had the opportunity to run in Wet, Inters and Dry conditions which is important milage for us at Gulf Racing as this year we are competing on the Dunlop tyre.
Some compounds will change but we have a pretty good idea of our operating windows for each compound and how to adjust the RSR accordingly.
Personally it was the first time I've been able to jump aboard the RSR so I was stoked to find out it feels just 911 Porsche to drive but with an unbelievable amount of grip on confi's.
Expectations are obviously high, but as we know the Aston and Ferrari running the 2016 package will be very quick. So we have to manage those expectations and take everything race by race. BoP is a word I hate but it will affect how the season rolls out, especially at LeMans. ACO usually do a good job of this but time will tell. Monza was not a good indication of where it stands currently.
The Am category has some high profile Pros and some of the most experienced Am's the world, so this will be not walk in the park. Every race every session will be fought hard by everyone.
Silverstone next weekend, looking forward to getting to the track under race conditions.
Nick
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, JuddaGT3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2017 22:07 #5974 by Pierre
Pierre replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
Hi Nick! Thanks for dropping in, and congrats on the drive. I know at least one other person here will agree you're in the best looking ride on the grid.

I haven't caught much prologue action apart from some video highlights in the app. Jonesing for Silverstone though, and we'll be gunning for you! All the best for the year, and I hope you can drop by again for some post race reports.

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Apr 2017 04:07 #5983 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2017 WEC.

NickFoster13 wrote: Hi All,
First forum, so take it easy on me. 2017 FIA WEC with Gulf racing in a 2015 spec 991 RSR.
I've just returned from the Prologue at Monza. 2 days, 14 hours of on track activity. We had the opportunity to run in Wet, Inters and Dry conditions which is important milage for us at Gulf Racing as this year we are competing on the Dunlop tyre.
Some compounds will change but we have a pretty good idea of our operating windows for each compound and how to adjust the RSR accordingly.
Personally it was the first time I've been able to jump aboard the RSR so I was stoked to find out it feels just 911 Porsche to drive but with an unbelievable amount of grip on confi's.
Expectations are obviously high, but as we know the Aston and Ferrari running the 2016 package will be very quick. So we have to manage those expectations and take everything race by race. BoP is a word I hate but it will affect how the season rolls out, especially at LeMans. ACO usually do a good job of this but time will tell. Monza was not a good indication of where it stands currently.
The Am category has some high profile Pros and some of the most experienced Am's the world, so this will be not walk in the park. Every race every session will be fought hard by everyone.
Silverstone next weekend, looking forward to getting to the track under race conditions.
Nick

Thanks for dropping in Nick and the best of luck to you.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

More
05 Apr 2017 12:26 #5993 by JM24
JM24 replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
Hi guys,
Been a while since I have posted anything on here
But I have got a bit of time on the plane back from monza.
I have been busy trying to sort out a few things for racing
This year and as you might of seen I have managed to get a bit
Of a gig in the WEC.
At this stage I am doing a bit of development testing and a one off
Round at the Nurburgring with G-Drive racing.
Testing includes the WEC prologue which was at Monza at the weekend
Spa in a couple of weeks, lemans test day in June then reserve driver for
The 24hour with the one off Nurburgring race following that.
I have been working on trying to get back in to WEC for a while so to
Finally get something there again I'm really excited mainly thanks to my
Engineer and good mate David leach who I worked with from 09 through
To 2014 in that time we shared a lot of good results together so its awesome
To be working together again.

It was so cool to be able to get the opportunity to drive a proper racecar again
With no compromise for performance i had forgot how physical they were to
Drive though after 2 years in GT cars i have bruised knees, shoulders and a bit
Of a sore neck but loving it haha..
The new LMP2 car is crazy fast we are only 4 secs off LMP1!
We ran the car in high downforce trim the whole weekend which isn't optimal
For Monza but we weren't after a hero lap time or worried about trying to find
A good setup for there as the WEC doesn't race there, so everything for us was
focused on Silverstone in 2 weeks.
I didn't get as much running as was planed mainly because of the weather and
Lack of spares. The cars are still very new so spares are few and far between so
There was a 0 risk approach to the test so when it rained for the night session we
stayed in the pits and unfortunately it was still wet in the morning so that cut our
Running short by over an hour in the morning session so that meant i had to miss
Some running as the focus was on my team mates who are doing the whole season
Which is only fair.
A bit of my running was just getting back up to speed and learning all the new little
Things that there is to play with in the car a lot has changed since I drove a P2 car
Last, all for the better i will add! After i was semi comfortable we continued to work
Through the test program they had set out most of it just learning more about what
Changes do and a lot just to gather data things like ride height sweeps, different torsion
Bars (spring rate) and a little bit of aero work.
To be fair i just loved every lap i got to do in it, back in cars i really understand and
Know how to drive fast. It was a bit of a shock to the system for the first few laps though,
the cars are so fast now its awesome
They stop good the downforce is amazing and doing over 300kph in multiple places
Still with high downforce on is cool! The new tyre from Dunlop is also a big step forwards
In performance, cant wait to see how fast we can go at lemans when the car is fully
Trimmed out.
The next time i get out in it will be a test day at spa in a few weeks where i will get to
Focus abit more on preference, car balance and LeMans aero testing.

On another note im still trying to put something together for the AUS GT endurance
Championship but haven't got anything locked in yet, hopefully soon.

For now though i just got back home and trying to keep our feet dry during the floods
Up here. The clean up is going to be the worst..

Cheers
JM
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, chatswood47, porsche91722, Ryan Lee

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Apr 2017 17:24 #5998 by maverick
Thanks for popping in again John and the best of luck.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

• The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
  • The conversationalist formally known as Goat69's Avatar
More
05 Apr 2017 19:41 #6003 by The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 replied the topic: 2017 WEC.

JM24 wrote: Hi guys,
Been a while since I have posted anything on here
But I have got a bit of time on the plane back from monza.
I have been busy trying to sort out a few things for racing
This year and as you might of seen I have managed to get a bit
Of a gig in the WEC.
At this stage I am doing a bit of development testing and a one off
Round at the Nurburgring with G-Drive racing.
Testing includes the WEC prologue which was at Monza at the weekend
Spa in a couple of weeks, lemans test day in June then reserve driver for
The 24hour with the one off Nurburgring race following that.
I have been working on trying to get back in to WEC for a while so to
Finally get something there again I'm really excited mainly thanks to my
Engineer and good mate David leach who I worked with from 09 through
To 2014 in that time we shared a lot of good results together so its awesome
To be working together again.

It was so cool to be able to get the opportunity to drive a proper racecar again
With no compromise for performance i had forgot how physical they were to
Drive though after 2 years in GT cars i have bruised knees, shoulders and a bit
Of a sore neck but loving it haha..
The new LMP2 car is crazy fast we are only 4 secs off LMP1!
We ran the car in high downforce trim the whole weekend which isn't optimal
For Monza but we weren't after a hero lap time or worried about trying to find
A good setup for there as the WEC doesn't race there, so everything for us was
focused on Silverstone in 2 weeks.
I didn't get as much running as was planed mainly because of the weather and
Lack of spares. The cars are still very new so spares are few and far between so
There was a 0 risk approach to the test so when it rained for the night session we
stayed in the pits and unfortunately it was still wet in the morning so that cut our
Running short by over an hour in the morning session so that meant i had to miss
Some running as the focus was on my team mates who are doing the whole season
Which is only fair.
A bit of my running was just getting back up to speed and learning all the new little
Things that there is to play with in the car a lot has changed since I drove a P2 car
Last, all for the better i will add! After i was semi comfortable we continued to work
Through the test program they had set out most of it just learning more about what
Changes do and a lot just to gather data things like ride height sweeps, different torsion
Bars (spring rate) and a little bit of aero work.
To be fair i just loved every lap i got to do in it, back in cars i really understand and
Know how to drive fast. It was a bit of a shock to the system for the first few laps though,
the cars are so fast now its awesome
They stop good the downforce is amazing and doing over 300kph in multiple places
Still with high downforce on is cool! The new tyre from Dunlop is also a big step forwards
In performance, cant wait to see how fast we can go at lemans when the car is fully
Trimmed out.
The next time i get out in it will be a test day at spa in a few weeks where i will get to
Focus abit more on preference, car balance and LeMans aero testing.

On another note im still trying to put something together for the AUS GT endurance
Championship but haven't got anything locked in yet, hopefully soon.

For now though i just got back home and trying to keep our feet dry during the floods
Up here. The clean up is going to be the worst..

Cheers
JM

Thanks john for coming on. Great insight into a drivers thoughts. Interesting the lap time diff between lmp1 and 2! Hopefully you get a gig racing at the aus gt enduros if nothing pops up in wec in the mean time.

Baron Peck Peckington III
The following user(s) liked this post: JM24

More
07 Apr 2017 07:18 #6022 by Ryan Lee
Ryan Lee replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
Word is that 2016 WEC are slowly appearing on the WEC YouTube channel. Will be good to have a bit of a back catalogue for all those times you don't have anything to do for 6 hours ;)
The following user(s) liked this post: Nardulas

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 Apr 2017 09:28 #6278 by maverick
Congratulations to Weng and the Clearwater team on their victory at Silverstone. :woohoo:

The following user(s) liked this post: Nardulas, Weng

More
17 Apr 2017 11:25 #6281 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
Fantastic!! I fell asleep two hours in and woke up on the last lap just in time to witness Griffin take the win after the Aston and Ferrari came together.

Well done to the whole Clearwater team Im so happy for you guys!! B)
The following user(s) liked this post: Weng

More
19 Apr 2017 05:32 #6308 by Weng
Weng replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
Thanks guys! What an incredible outcome and dream debut. Matt Griffin's nickname is Lucky Charms and this certainly held true this time around. A safety car during my 2nd stint (4th hour) allowed me to close the gap to those in front. They got me out of the car probably a lap or two too early which made Sawa and Matt have to stretch the fuel in the last 2 stints. Matt certainly had great pace and took the lead outright with 30 mins to go. But unfortunately he had to come in a few laps from the end to splash 4 secs of fuel. This brought him out directly behind Lamy and Molina and it was a dash to the finish over the last few laps. The final lap fracas at the 3rd last corner allowed Matt to sneak through at the end. Couldn't believe we won our maiden race! A bit of luck but I'll gladly accept the 25 championship points!

At Frankfurt airport now waiting for my flight home. Had a first look at Spa Francorchamps today and did a few laps to learn the circuit as part of a track day with street cars. What an amazing place. Eau Rouge is properly scary without downforce. Can't wait to get back here for the next WEC round in a couple of weeks.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Richo, RedZedMikey, The conversationalist formally known as Goat69, porsche91722, Nardulas, Kalekta, Ryan Lee

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 Apr 2017 15:12 #6313 by maverick

More
19 Apr 2017 16:00 #6315 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: 2017 WEC.

maverick wrote: A good read re Clearwater.

lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww...sJ8yExZzZOdVkJ64&s=1

Lets hope it really is the year of the dragon. :) Is it too much too ask for a 1-2 in GTE AM come Le Mans? ;)

The Motorsport Nerd: A blog for all motorsport enthusiasts by a massive motorsport enthusiast. Check it out: motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorsport-nerd
The Motorsport Nerd is now on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themotorsportnerd/?view..._for=239217863187708
The following user(s) liked this post: Weng

More
19 Apr 2017 20:06 #6322 by RedZedMikey
RedZedMikey replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
Damn that Clearwater 488 looks good!

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
04 May 2017 15:23 #6586 by maverick

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
06 May 2017 10:29 #6623 by maverick

The following user(s) liked this post: Richo

More
06 May 2017 22:46 #6643 by JuddaGT3
JuddaGT3 replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
Totally agree!! That is such a good looking race car

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 May 2017 10:05 #6648 by maverick
Toyota and Ferrari ay !!!!

More
07 May 2017 11:40 #6655 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
Great to see Clearwater on the podium for the second race in a row B)

Rapt to see AF Corse 1-2 in GT Pro even if I tipped the wrong car to win. Very happy. It was a dominant race for the team and as good as they are I have my suspiscions that Porsche and Ford were sandbagging

• Miguel
  • GT REPORT
More
09 May 2017 06:38 #6694 by Miguel
Miguel replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
Here's our quick report of the race with some photos: www.gt-report.com/2017/05/08/red-and-white-all-over/

I just hang out at the track and drank beer, so mostly got drunken shaky shots like this:

The following user(s) liked this post: Richo, Nardulas

• Miguel
  • GT REPORT
More
10 May 2017 07:33 #6712 by Miguel
Miguel replied the topic: 2017 WEC.
Full gallery from Spa: www.gt-report.com/2017/05/09/red-and-white-all-over-pt-ii/

And some words by Toyota's team director Rob Leupen on Spa and the upcoming LM24: www.gt-report.com/2017/05/09/rob-leupen-spa-win-a-big-boost/

The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, Richo

Time to create page: 0.404 seconds