2018 Bathurst 12 hour spectator help & hints.

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
08 Nov 2017 08:16 - 18 Jan 2018 20:49 #9384 by maverick
maverick created the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour spectator help & hints.
Our spectator help & hint's thread was very helpful for this year's event, so we'll do the same for next year's event, especially as things change from year to year.
Probably a good idea to go back through the 2017 thread also.
Something that i learn't from this year's event was that if you are thinking of getting there on the Wednesday, take your own drink as there wasn't any vendor's open until the Thursday and as we know, it's bloody hot.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.
Last Edit: 18 Jan 2018 20:49 by Pierre. Reason: Added link to 2017 thread

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2017 19:05 #10045 by Justin_Bannon
Justin_Bannon replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour spectator help & hints.
Make sure you hammer your tent down! and lower your Gazebos in the paddock area, Can be very windy out the back of the pits! Also for our fare skinned friends loads of sunscreen and a Big wide brimmed hat! look forward to seeing everyone on the mountain in 2018
The following user(s) liked this post: Pierre

More
18 Jan 2018 12:00 #10341 by Chris32
Chris32 replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour spectator help & hints.
We are heading over from Adelaide, just wanting to find out if you can access the pits on Saturday evening? I seem to remember it being open for spectators to have a look one of the nights

And is this access just the back of the pits like during the day, or can you access the track and race side of the pits for a look?

More
18 Jan 2018 15:02 #10346 by kiwikid_1
kiwikid_1 replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour spectator help & hints.

Chris32 wrote: We are heading over from Adelaide, just wanting to find out if you can access the pits on Saturday evening? I seem to remember it being open for spectators to have a look one of the nights

And is this access just the back of the pits like during the day, or can you access the track and race side of the pits for a look?

Never been kicked out of anywhere...but will say last year the pits were a little more closed shop than years b4...Ive been down there till around 11pm no worries at all

More
18 Jan 2018 16:14 #10347 by bennythejet
bennythejet replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour spectator help & hints.
My biggest bit of advice for those camping i a tent is take a cordless drill to drill holes for your tent pegs because the ground behind the pits is rock hard and you have almost zero chance of hammering them in without pre drilling
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo, kiwikid_1

More
18 Jan 2018 17:38 - 18 Jan 2018 17:40 #10348 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour spectator help & hints.

bennythejet wrote: My biggest bit of advice for those camping i a tent is take a cordless drill to drill holes for your tent pegs because the ground behind the pits is rock hard and you have almost zero chance of hammering them in without pre drilling

First year I went to this I camped in paddock. Had the thin POS pegs included with the tent that bent when I tried to hammer them in. ':lol:

A quick drive into town to the nearest hardware shop (Home?) and got some big thick cast iron ones that you could knock someone out with and they did the trick. Was looking for them last night and cant find them :( Im back in Paddock this year so will have to look around for a cordless drill or borrow one in exchange for a beer.
Last Edit: 18 Jan 2018 17:40 by Richo.

More
18 Jan 2018 19:53 #10351 by bennythejet
bennythejet replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour spectator help & hints.
Im in the paddock and i will be bringing my bunnings cordless drill. It may need a recharge after every hole but after bending heavy duty pegs last year im not risking it again
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo

More
18 Jan 2018 22:47 #10354 by Pierre
Pierre replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour spectator help & hints.
First time paddock camping this year, drill tip noted! I might have bent a couple up on the mountain too, but it doesn't sound like it was as bad.

More
25 Jan 2018 09:50 #10473 by cshaks
cshaks replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour spectator help & hints.
Good tip on the cordless drill... I broke a mallet trying to hammer in pegs on the mountain last year!
Another point, it looks like they have added a second superscreen this year for the top of the mountain. The map shows one in the recovery area near the grate at around reid park.
Make sure you bring plenty of water and sunscreen, if it is anything like last year (38 degrees every day).

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
25 Jan 2018 10:56 #10474 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour spectator help & hints.

cshaks wrote: Good tip on the cordless drill... I broke a mallet trying to hammer in pegs on the mountain last year!
Another point, it looks like they have added a second superscreen this year for the top of the mountain. The map shows one in the recovery area near the grate at around reid park.
Make sure you bring plenty of water and sunscreen, if it is anything like last year (38 degrees every day).

Forecast still saying mid to high 20's for all days which will be heaven.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

More
25 Jan 2018 12:12 #10475 by Pierre
Pierre replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour spectator help & hints.
Yep, glad for the forecast. For any first timers though, always pack for all seasons!

More
25 Jan 2018 13:24 #10477 by Nardulas
Nardulas replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour spectator help & hints.
The only thing you can rely on at Mount Panorama is the weather being unreliable. Although, if it stays as forecasted, I'll be thrilled
The following user(s) liked this post: mayhem

More
25 Jan 2018 13:52 #10479 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour spectator help & hints.
Mid to high 20s is fine by me too. Its getting closer and closer, the hype is real!

• The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
  • The conversationalist formally known as Goat69's Avatar
More
25 Jan 2018 19:53 #10488 by The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour spectator help & hints.

Richo wrote: Mid to high 20s is fine by me too. Its getting closer and closer, the hype is real!

At 38 degrees. Parts of dads army were pulling out. But with weather like that their all coming.

Baron Peck Peckington III

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
25 Jan 2018 20:02 #10489 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour spectator help & hints.

The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 wrote:

Richo wrote: Mid to high 20s is fine by me too. Its getting closer and closer, the hype is real!

At 38 degrees. Parts of dads army were pulling out. But with weather like that their all coming.

:ohmy:

The following user(s) liked this post: Richo

More
27 Jan 2018 21:07 #10508 by jdyort
jdyort replied the topic: 2018 Bathurst 12 hour spectator help & hints.

bennythejet wrote: My biggest bit of advice for those camping i a tent is take a cordless drill to drill holes for your tent pegs because the ground behind the pits is rock hard and you have almost zero chance of hammering them in without pre drilling

Yes I am a seasoned veteran of swearing at the paddock rockground. Last year me and a builder mate got creative.
We ended up buying roofing screws (they don't sell them at Bunnings) and making tabs to clip our tent ropes onto. Take up a cordless impact driver and bang, what rock?

They work awesome. We didn't tell the other guys what we were doing so we got great mileage out of watching them bending pegs when ours were done in 2minutes.
If you look closely you can see the 2 different designs above. Getting the bendy brackets like what use to be on the rear of car stereo's from Bunnings work pretty well.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick, GeeEmm, kiwikid_1

Time to create page: 0.340 seconds