2018 Australian GT Championship.

More
05 Sep 2017 18:52 #8758 by porsche91722
porsche91722 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Matt.
When you say that you haven’t aligned yourselves with Murdoch, the majority of the races (not counting Trophy) are on FOXTEL!
I have a major issue with parting company with any money going to anything involved with the Murdoch owned media. My morals, however, aren’t that binding that I wouldn’t do so, if I was going to get something that is worth the investment ie, a great coverage of a motorsport category that I felt was unmissable. Unfortunately, AusGT doesn’t quite fall into that category for me atm, in comparison to what’s available from overseas sports car racing series. In saying that, I’m not trying to be offensive, but just stating my position on the issue. I love GT3 racing, I’ve already booked accommodation and tickets for the B12H, and would dearly love to follow the local series, albeit depleted this year, but it ain’t an easy exercise. With today’s news of Supercars taking over the series, I guess I’ll have to get used to the idea of not following GT racing too closely in Australia.
We’ll have to agree to disagree on your point of the hours of viewing by “average” Australians, 85-100 hours per month. That’s 3 hrs every day for each and every Australian. Viewer numbers are drastically dropping, particularly in the younger age demographics. Go and ask anyone under 25-30, how much TV they watch these days. Do you watch 3+ hours of TV every day?

"At the end of the day, endurance racing is the ultimate test for man and machine and that hasn’t changed a bit in the last 50 years" - Chris Amon
porsche91722.wordpress.com/
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath, Dazza, Lotus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2017 12:25 #8767 by Pierre
Pierre replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

Shane001 wrote: Thing is Foxtel already provide a streaming service, it's called Foxtel Now.

And you can do it for $39/month.

I got the old man to cancel his $100+ satellite subscription, and replaced it with the above. We can use the account at both of our places, so he gets his footy too.

Split the cost with someone, and you've got your $20/month service :evil:
The following user(s) liked this post: StueyB83

More
06 Sep 2017 18:49 #8769 by MatCoch
MatCoch replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

Pierre wrote:

Shane001 wrote: Thing is Foxtel already provide a streaming service, it's called Foxtel Now.

And you can do it for $39/month.

I got the old man to cancel his $100+ satellite subscription, and replaced it with the above. We can use the account at both of our places, so he gets his footy too.

Split the cost with someone, and you've got your $20/month service :evil:

Use an Android device, and a Chromecast, and you've got it on the telly too.

Media Manager at Australian GT, PR scribe for Audi Sport Customer Racing Australia, host of Pitpass.com podcast, part time hack for Speedcafe and Auto Action, and freelance Motorsport journo. Views and typos are my won and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer, or those I'll hold tomorrow....

More
06 Sep 2017 19:48 #8770 by Pierre
Yep, or those with a smart TV might even have the Foxtel Now (previously Foxtel Go) app available already.

Our tellies are pretty old, so I ended up grabbing a Telstra TV for both myself and the old man. Pretty cheap from ebay , and it gives you all the other local streaming options as well - Netflix, Stan, iView, SBS etc.

(Note that they do require an active Telstra account to activate. Neither of us use Telstra any more, so I used another family member's login to set it up.)

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Sep 2017 14:45 #8774 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo

More
08 Sep 2017 09:06 - 08 Sep 2017 09:06 #8785 by P1 Racing
P1 Racing replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

MatCoch wrote: What's the point in having live television of an Australian GT event on a free to air network if nobody is interested in turning up?

How does one then sell that to potential sponsors, teams and drivers, and of course the television networks themselves. Even live streaming is expensive as, fundamentally, you've got the same setup and infrastructure requirements as live television.

How many people turned up and tuned in for the SMP round live on Foxtel?

How many teams/drivers are relying on sponsors for their entries?

MatCoch wrote: At $50 a month for Foxtel, that's 50c/hour or thereabouts. What's it cost you to go to the movies? How much do you spend on a night out with the lads for a couple hours of entertainment?

The question is for families - how is that $50 per month best spent. Some things take priorities over a Foxtel subscription and a night out with the lads. For me - the simple throw away line that "its not that much" fails to take in the reality of many Australian families.
Last Edit: 08 Sep 2017 09:06 by P1 Racing.
The following user(s) liked this post: porsche91722

More
08 Sep 2017 10:11 - 08 Sep 2017 10:19 #8786 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

P1 Racing wrote:

MatCoch wrote: What's the point in having live television of an Australian GT event on a free to air network if nobody is interested in turning up?

How does one then sell that to potential sponsors, teams and drivers, and of course the television networks themselves. Even live streaming is expensive as, fundamentally, you've got the same setup and infrastructure requirements as live television.

How many people turned up and tuned in for the SMP round live on Foxtel?

How many teams/drivers are relying on sponsors for their entries?

MatCoch wrote: At $50 a month for Foxtel, that's 50c/hour or thereabouts. What's it cost you to go to the movies? How much do you spend on a night out with the lads for a couple hours of entertainment?

The question is for families - how is that $50 per month best spent. Some things take priorities over a Foxtel subscription and a night out with the lads. For me - the simple throw away line that "its not that much" fails to take in the reality of many Australian families.

It's always a topic that is a point of contention - but racing is a hobby - and realistically its enjoyment is (sadly) not an entitlement.

Not everyone has disposable income for non-essential items - I get that - but the discussion is mostly based on if you are a fanatic/supporter then how much do you justify for laying down to watch?

We're lucky to get Blancpain streams for free - but that series commercial model allows for that to happen. Le Mans and the WEC is now behind a pay wall.

Other racing series that aren't - such as the 12hr - is lambasted for having "too many ads" - but the question needs to raised - who is paying for your free coverage?

The same dynamics apply for guys who race. I see Scudd (Lago) being quoted many times that "he doesn't go racing for the crowds" as if that's some bad thing... His business is large scale frozen storage - a service that joe public won't ever use - so why should he care about how many eyes its exposed to? Even the brand on the side of the Lago cars - JBS Meats - is a processor that joe public doesn't use (they buy the end product without knowing JBS has even worked it).

Same goes for Tony Walls (Objective is a process-tracking software company - one of who's biggest aussie client is the ADF).

For your global GT3 photo fix: www.flickr.com/groups/gt3/
For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

For my guessed Entry List: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZaPzpOWO...K1Y/edit?usp=sharing
Last Edit: 08 Sep 2017 10:19 by StueyB83.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

More
08 Sep 2017 13:36 #8787 by Shane001
Shane001 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Very true Stuey, and any form of coverage is going to bump up the costs of entry, which in turn tends to reduce the number of entries.

I think though if Foxtel had a close look at it, I can't see them losing anything on having a $10 or $20 motorsport channel on the Foxtel Now stream service only. The service already exists, the content already exists, all they need to do is price it at a point that the fans will pay.

I guess the one thing they do have to loose, is the extra revenue from the few who have signed up to $50 a month who only really signed up for motorsport, they may loose a few of these back to the cheaper plan.

The problem in this country with everything is you don't have the scale of numbers that you have in Europe or the US, or Asia for that matter.

More
08 Sep 2017 16:44 - 08 Sep 2017 16:48 #8788 by porsche91722
I look at the 35.00 Euro (approx. $52.00) I spend on the full season WEC/Le Mans24 coverage as money well spent. I get 72 hours of actual racing time, plus all qualifying sessions, commercial free. I wouldn’t have a problem in paying (depending on the $) to get streaming access to a series I’m interested in, if it was made available, but we don’t get that option here. Again, they (VASC’s) make that call….I’m fine with that. Just don’t expect fans to be there waiting, when they decide they want to drum up business to a disappearing fan base down the track.
As I’ve said many times before, with WEC, IMSA, Blancpain, GTmasters, SuperGT offering a much higher quality of racing, at no charge (excluding WEC), commercial free, I’m not going to lose any sleep over missing out on the local product, especially when they are down to a 17 car field.
If they get their shit together, and have a fan friendly product that they can offer to get us back on board, I’d certainly have another look at it.

"At the end of the day, endurance racing is the ultimate test for man and machine and that hasn’t changed a bit in the last 50 years" - Chris Amon
Last Edit: 08 Sep 2017 16:48 by porsche91722.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath, Dazza

More
08 Sep 2017 17:19 - 08 Sep 2017 17:20 #8789 by StueyB83

porsche91722 wrote: I wouldn’t have a problem in paying (depending on the $) to get streaming access to a series I’m interested in, if it was made available, but we don’t get that option here

Lets be honest here - Part and parcel of why it isn't available is demand. AusGT (GT racing in general) has a cult-like following here in Aus - its very small at this current time - and it simply isn't commercially viable to send out equip/personnel and set-up streaming infrastructure in some reasonably remote locations just for one series for a subscriber base of likely... 100 people nation wide.

That's why it has had to piggy-back off the VASC fox package to get increased chance of exposure. It doesn't compare to WEC as that is a main game racing series, and Aus GT at this time sadly is not.

For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

For my guessed Entry List: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZaPzpOWO...K1Y/edit?usp=sharing
Last Edit: 08 Sep 2017 17:20 by StueyB83.

More
08 Sep 2017 18:45 #8793 by porsche91722
I should have perhaps made my point a bit clearer. I understand the issue with having a TV coverage. The stream doesn’t happen without the TV infrastructure there. I get that!
However, if WEC & IMSA & Blancpain can have their show broadcast via a Fox network AND offer a stream why can’t our local series.
I realise the devil may be in the contract detail, however, if Supercars & by default AusGT, signed up with Fox under a NO STREAMING arrangement, they fucked up badly and they’re paying the price with fans losing interest in droves. And just on that subject, there are two sets of ratings figures….the ones that are published, and the real ones. But I digress.
You said that AusGT had to piggy-back off the VASC Fox package to get increased chance of exposure. My point is that, imo, they made the wrong call.
With due respect to Mat, who bills himself as “Media Manager at Australian GT, PR scribe for Audi Sport Customer Racing Australia”, it seems like they want to have their cake & eat it too. The series that has a PR guy on their books, but doesn’t appear to be overly concerned with looking after their fanbase, however small it may be. The poor bloke is on a hiding to nothing with this mob.

More
09 Sep 2017 00:04 #8794 by MatCoch
But there is a stream available via Foxtel Go/Play/Whatever it's called. The product is already available.

As for your comment about looking after our fan base, the model has not changed and the category has grown so I disagree with you on that point too.

If Australian GT made the wrong call by holding events on the Supercars platform, what was the right call?

Media Manager at Australian GT, PR scribe for Audi Sport Customer Racing Australia, host of Pitpass.com podcast, part time hack for Speedcafe and Auto Action, and freelance Motorsport journo. Views and typos are my won and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer, or those I'll hold tomorrow....

More
09 Sep 2017 08:20 #8798 by porsche91722
You mean this one –
Sport pack $ 29 / Month & in the fine print - To access the Sport Pack, you need to add a starter pack. We suggest the Pop Pack at $15/month which means your minimum cost will be $44/month.
YES $44.00 per month Once again, the devil is in their fine print
The category has grown…..really! Not according to the numbers, I’m seeing.
20 starters at QR, with 5 x Marc Focus cars in the field (This is the first year, in about the last 5 or so, that I’ve missed the Shannons round at QR, because tbh, I couldn’t be bothered heading up there to see a pretty average trophy field. I watched a bit of it on the Shannons stream, but gave it away.)
18 starters in the trophy race at PI this weekend
17 starters at SMP, a couple of weeks ago
“If Australian GT made the wrong call by holding events on the Supercars platform, what was the right call? --- From memory, the initial call was made by you guys in saying last year, that all races were going to be streamed live on You Tube. That disappeared pretty quickly. I think you over rate the power of being saddled to VASC’s. It’s invisible on their broadcast, or what I get to see anyway.
Q.What are the benefits that the series sees as being allied to them- better coverage- on Foxtel? That ain’t happening!!

Mat….I think you do a damn fine job, with the dog that’s been delivered to you. But as I see it, you’re flogging a dead horse. I’m a massive GT fan, but I can’t put up with it anymore.

More
09 Sep 2017 15:36 #8800 by Pierre

porsche91722 wrote: You mean this one –
Sport pack $ 29 / Month & in the fine print - To access the Sport Pack, you need to add a starter pack. We suggest the Pop Pack at $15/month which means your minimum cost will be $44/month.

They "suggest" a $15 base pack, but you can go with a $10 pack, reducing the total cost to $39. As I posted elsewhere you can also share the login with a family member or friend (which I do), so if you're feeling cheeky you can have it for $19.50/month - and you get a lot of motorsport for your buck.

Don't get me wrong, I resent the mere existence of Foxtel as much as the next person. Always satisfying to find the little grifts in the system though.

More
09 Sep 2017 21:23 #8805 by Thetonkatoy
Thetonkatoy replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I really dont understand how everyone can say they love GT racing, want the category to flourish but they also want it for free. You want people to literally invests hundreds of thousands for YOUR entertainment and you're complaining about 1.46 per day for foxtel go? Wow. Foxtel gives you 5 logins too. Imagine splitting that.

You all whine on low entries because competitors have low funds yet you feel 50c a day would be too much to support your beloved category. You couldnt even get enough of you together at Sydney for a Q and A! How many rounds a year do you attend? How much memorbilla do you buy?
Do you go to work for a reduced rate because Tom across the road says he gets paid less?

I for one appreciate each and every one of the drivers , teams, management for getting out there, giving it a crack for MY entertainment and i am more than happy to pay to support the category.

I have no idea why some of you seem to think youre so entitled.
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo, MatCoch, kiwikid_1, Ryan Lee

More
09 Sep 2017 21:46 #8807 by MatCoch

20 starters at QR, with 5 x Marc Focus cars in the field (This is the first year, in about the last 5 or so, that I’ve missed the Shannons round at QR, because tbh, I couldn’t be bothered heading up there to see a pretty average trophy field. I watched a bit of it on the Shannons stream, but gave it away.)
“If Australian GT made the wrong call by holding events on the Supercars platform, what was the right call? --- From memory, the initial call was made by you guys in saying last year, that all races were going to be streamed live on You Tube. That disappeared pretty quickly. I think you over rate the power of being saddled to VASC’s. It’s invisible on their broadcast, or what I get to see anyway.
Q.What are the benefits that the series sees as being allied to them- better coverage- on Foxtel? That ain’t happening!!

Mat….I think you do a damn fine job, with the dog that’s been delivered to you. But as I see it, you’re flogging a dead horse. I’m a massive GT fan, but I can’t put up with it anymore.

We have at no point said we would stream on YouTube.

If you're willing to pay for coverage of one category, why are you complaining about exactly the same business model being employed by another?

Where else can Australian GT run and receive the same coverage that we do on Fox Sports?

If you can't put up with Australian GT anymore may I recommend the Australian Production Car Series? Many of their races are available via a live stream (with Australian GT Trophy Series, which has all races free on a live stream).

The following user(s) liked this post: Ryan Lee

More
10 Sep 2017 07:19 - 10 Sep 2017 07:26 #8812 by Nath
Nath replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

MatCoch wrote:

We have at no point said we would stream on YouTube.

If you're willing to pay for coverage of one category, why are you complaining about exactly the same business model being employed by another?

Where else can Australian GT run and receive the same coverage that we do on Fox Sports?

If you can't put up with Australian GT anymore may I recommend the Australian Production Car Series? Many of their races are available via a live stream (with Australian GT Trophy Series, which has all races free on a live stream).

The point is that a very large amount of people in australia disagree with the business model that foxtel uses.

I would purchase the service instantly if it was was streamed in HD and if it offered both pay per view options or much more affordable streaming subscriptions. I think most of us would sign up straight away if they said $20 dollars a month for all your motorsport needs. Ive got no interest in paying 50 bucks a month for low resolution streaming and channels i have zero interest in.

I personally agree that the pay tv model is responsible for a world wide decline in motorsport as it has been in the support of rugby etc.

While the quality and scope of the coverage is second to none it is exclusive to those who have fox and i still feel that nothing beats free to air or youtube. While v8supercars is aligned with fox sadly i dont think we will ever see that happen but hopefully they have the foresight to follow other GT series around the world (imsa, blancpain) etc in providing the Australian gt product on youtube, the latter streamed live and left online for anyone to watch at any point in the year...for free!.

I believe a reasonable scenario at this point in time while Aus GT isnt quiet where it needs to be viewers wise would be to show it live on fox as part of the support program but have it posted on youtube or the v8supercar/aus gt website in each races entirety by the same evening to be watched freely by whoever.

The viewing habits of people have changed and the series needs to be accessible to the current and next generation.
Last Edit: 10 Sep 2017 07:26 by Nath.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nardulas

More
10 Sep 2017 09:21 #8813 by porsche91722
OK…..So I must have read this completely wrong….Speedcafe release 16th November 2016
www.speedcafe.com/2016/11/16/speedcafe-b...-australian-gt-2017/
Championship organisers have confirmed that all meetings barring the Clipsal 500 (March 2-5) Australian GT Championship season opener and the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix (March 23-26) will be live streamed for the first time.
The announcement follows the release of its 2017 calendar which sees the category move away from Supercars promoted events.
Australian GT trialed a free live streaming service at the inaugural Hampton Downs 101 last month prompting the move to embrace the technology for 2017.
………Category manager Ken Collier believes live streaming the majority of its rounds will help boost the championship’s growth.
“I think live streaming is the way to go for sport in general,” Collier told Speedcafe.com.
“It is accessible so easily on mobile devices and we have seen television companies use the streaming technology.
……………

More
11 Sep 2017 11:10 #8822 by StueyB83
That was the plan, Porsche. Subsequent politicking and division thwarted that plan though.

Faced with an aborted season, or a compromised tie-in with VASC at the last minute - they went for the latter to appease a faction and salvage the season - and that also meant the ambitious plans for the stream died.

2017 Aus GT can be described in one word... Compromise.

Given the instability and upheavals over the course of the year (and subsequent transfer of power to VASC) the fact the series continues in reasonable health to bounce back should be celebrated, even if the telecasting is not to everyone's liking.

The following user(s) liked this post: Richo, Pierre

More
11 Sep 2017 11:49 #8826 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

StueyB83 wrote: That was the plan, Porsche. Subsequent politicking and division thwarted that plan though.

Faced with an aborted season, or a compromised tie-in with VASC at the last minute - they went for the latter to appease a faction and salvage the season - and that also meant the ambitious plans for the stream died.

2017 Aus GT can be described in one word... Compromise.

Given the instability and upheavals over the course of the year (and subsequent transfer of power to VASC) the fact the series continues in reasonable health to bounce back should be celebrated, even if the telecasting is not to everyone's liking.

Good points.

I've seen elsewhere online people attacking the series over having 17 GT3 cars at Eastern Creek which whilst lower then expected is still quite healthy for a national GT3 series that doesn't have GT4 to fill out the field. I have no doubt that if we didn't have the last minute calender change fields would be bigger at least.
The following user(s) liked this post: StueyB83

Time to create page: 0.447 seconds