2018 Australian GT Championship.

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 Jul 2017 10:57 - 01 Aug 2017 11:10 #8344 by maverick
maverick created the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.
Last Edit: 01 Aug 2017 11:10 by maverick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2017 13:51 - 29 Jul 2017 13:51 #8346 by MatCoch
MatCoch replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
Here's our release on the Hampton Downs 12 Hour;

australiangt.com.au/2017/07/29/hampton-d...-36-opener-from-2018

HAMPTON DOWNS CONFIRMED AS ASIA PACIFIC 36 OPENER FROM 2018

Tony Quinn has confirmed the recent statement by SRO boss Stephane Ratel, announcing Hampton Downs will host the inaugural round of the Asia Pacific 36 series from 2018.

Owner of the Hampton Downs circuit, and Australian GT, Mr Quinn has overseen substantial growth in GT racing in Australasia in recent years, and has worked closely with Mr Ratel and SRO.

Speaking at the Total 24 Hours or Spa over the weekend, Mr Ratel announced the Asia Pacific 36, which will host its first round at Hampton Downs on October 28, 2018.

The Asia Pacific 36 will then take in two further events during the southern hemisphere summer.

Australian GT Manager, Ken Collier, recently met with Mr Ratel in London, where he represented Mr Quinn and Hampton Downs to secure the first round of the Asia Pacific 36.

“Tony asked me to meet with Mr Ratel and get the deal done,” Mr Collier explained.

“It is going to be a big event and will have support from the Blancpain GT Series Asia and I believe that many Australian GT teams will be interested.

“Obviously the NZ based GT3 teams will be talking about the event also.”

“I am also talking to other categories who could participate at the event in support races as apart from being a great circuit we will have world class TV and live streaming production which is a big feature of all SRO events worldwide.

“I expect that that all three event organisers will work very well with SRO to make the Asia Pacific 36 a complete success.”

Mr Quinn is also enthusiastic about the Asia Pacific 36 series.

“When I invested in Hampton Downs I planned to have first class international events at the circuit,” Mr Quinn said.

“To have the Asia Pacific 36 start at Hampton Downs, and with the support of Stephane’s organisation, is going to put New Zealand on the international GT3 map.”

Hampton Downs will again host Australian GT in October as the CAMS Australian Endurance Championship again visits the venue for the Laser Plumbing & Electrical Hampton Downs 500.

It caps off a busy year for the venue, which also plays host to top level New Zealand motorsport with the NZ Touring Cars series and the popular Toyota Racing Series.

Media Manager at Australian GT, PR scribe for Audi Sport Customer Racing Australia, host of Pitpass.com podcast, part time hack for Speedcafe and Auto Action, and freelance Motorsport journo. Views and typos are my won and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer, or those I'll hold tomorrow....
Last Edit: 29 Jul 2017 13:51 by MatCoch.
The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

More
29 Jul 2017 21:15 #8348 by MatCoch
We'll be confirming more details in due course.

Hey, Mav, perhaps this needs to move to a new Australian GT 2018 thread?

Media Manager at Australian GT, PR scribe for Audi Sport Customer Racing Australia, host of Pitpass.com podcast, part time hack for Speedcafe and Auto Action, and freelance Motorsport journo. Views and typos are my won and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer, or those I'll hold tomorrow....

More
30 Jul 2017 10:19 #8350 by CP
CP replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4
If the Bathurst 12 Hour is now part of SRO Asia Pacific enduros, does that mean the Intercontinental GT thing that no one cares about is no longer?

More
30 Jul 2017 18:41 #8352 by RedZedMikey
RedZedMikey replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4

CP wrote: If the Bathurst 12 Hour is now part of SRO Asia Pacific enduros, does that mean the Intercontinental GT thing that no one cares about is no longer?

The original Speedcafe article implied that both "series" are still going - quote "The Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour will continue to be the opening round of the successful Intercontinental GT Challenge, which will include the Spa 24 Hours and the Suzuka 10 Hours that replaces the Sepang 12 Hour".

As I understand it, Hampton Downs (Oct) will be race 1, Sepang race 2, and Bathurst race 3 in the Asia Pacific 36, meaning the 12 Hour will be a stand alone event for some teams, part of the IGTC for others, and part of the AP36 for a third group.

My hope is that with Suzuka joining the ICGT, we may see some of the Japanese GT3 teams at Bathurst ...

More
31 Jul 2017 09:42 #8353 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4

maverick wrote:

RedZedMikey wrote:

Shane001 wrote: When is Mark Webber gonna come race at the mountain? I'm surprised no one has cajoled him into a seat yet!

Guess the first thing is getting Mr Webber to WANT to race at the mountain ...

Yes i can't say that I've heard him get too excited when asked about it.

In his words - he's driven the best - so why go back? To him, GT dulls his senses a little.

Give him a few years out... he'll come around when the itch gets too much.

For your global GT3 photo fix: www.flickr.com/groups/gt3/
For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

For my guessed Entry List: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZaPzpOWO...K1Y/edit?usp=sharing

More
31 Jul 2017 09:53 - 31 Jul 2017 09:55 #8354 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: 2018 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour Feb 2-4

RedZedMikey wrote:

CP wrote: If the Bathurst 12 Hour is now part of SRO Asia Pacific enduros, does that mean the Intercontinental GT thing that no one cares about is no longer?

The original Speedcafe article implied that both "series" are still going - quote "The Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour will continue to be the opening round of the successful Intercontinental GT Challenge, which will include the Spa 24 Hours and the Suzuka 10 Hours that replaces the Sepang 12 Hour".

As I understand it, Hampton Downs (Oct) will be race 1, Sepang race 2, and Bathurst race 3 in the Asia Pacific 36, meaning the 12 Hour will be a stand alone event for some teams, part of the IGTC for others, and part of the AP36 for a third group.

My hope is that with Suzuka joining the ICGT, we may see some of the Japanese GT3 teams at Bathurst ...

The nature of the IGTC kind of quashes that, because its for manufacturers and factory drivers more than anything else - the idea is it exploits teams and cars already in the locality that factory teams can "use" (or takeover) for their IGTC ambitions. Suzuka works MUCH better than Sepang because of the saturation of GT3 models already in Japan and nearby in China.

Here in Australia, we have an abundance of teams with good kit - so it minimises how much gear certain manufacturers have to send.

In the US, PWC has also equipped teams with most brands represented, and Europe needs no explanation.

It feels like the IGTC has lined its ducks up all in a row finally to be what Ratel intended it to be - a sub championship for brands.

I would also like the Suzuka 10 to be part of an expand AP46... however I reckon difficult and expensive logistics quashes that one.

I'm just happy with what we have. AP36 is logical because a number of Aus GT teams have done all 3 events in their past - and the nature of B12, Sepang 12 and Hampton will mean multi-class racing.

For your global GT3 photo fix: www.flickr.com/groups/gt3/
For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

For my guessed Entry List: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZaPzpOWO...K1Y/edit?usp=sharing
Last Edit: 31 Jul 2017 09:55 by StueyB83.
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo, RedZedMikey

More
01 Aug 2017 09:19 #8373 by MatCoch
The problem I have internally now is that I'll be at both the Hampton Downs 12 Hour and Bathurst 12 Hour. Be a shame NOT to be at the Sepang 12 Hour, wouldn't it!?

The following user(s) liked this post: Pierre, StueyB83

More
01 Aug 2017 09:24 #8374 by MatCoch

StueyB83 wrote:

maverick wrote:

RedZedMikey wrote:

Shane001 wrote: When is Mark Webber gonna come race at the mountain? I'm surprised no one has cajoled him into a seat yet!

Guess the first thing is getting Mr Webber to WANT to race at the mountain ...

Yes i can't say that I've heard him get too excited when asked about it.

In his words - he's driven the best - so why go back? To him, GT dulls his senses a little.

Give him a few years out... he'll come around when the itch gets too much.

I asked Mark about that directly a while back and he ruled a Bathurst 12 Hour start out. And knowing him, if he can't be competitive he wouldn't be interested, and after a couple years out he won't be competitive against the like of Matt Campbell.

I'd be surprised if you see him back on a grid anywhere; he gets his speed fix doing the Porsche activation stuff these days.

• Richo
  • Away
More
01 Aug 2017 14:51 #8378 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
GT4 for the main series next year.

www.speedcafe.com/2017/08/01/gt4-include...ian-gt-championship/

Be interesting to see who enters. Theres already one Aston, McLaren, KTM and a Porsche in the country and with the exception of the KTM we haven't seen any of them in Trophy yet.

More
02 Aug 2017 09:30 #8379 by Snowman
Snowman replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.

Richo wrote: GT4 for the main series next year.

Be interesting to see who enters. Theres already one Aston, McLaren, KTM and a Porsche in the country and with the exception of the KTM we haven't seen any of them in Trophy yet.

You'll find there is far more GT4 cars than that here. I think there are 4 x Caymans, 2 x X Bows, as well as the 2 x Ginetta G55's that did 12hr this year. Audi have cars coming, and I also expect there to be some M4's and AMG's (I've heard rumors for both with local orders).

I won't be surprised if come 2019 the Aust GT grids resemble the British GT grids where there can be more GT4 cars than GT3 cars.

The following user(s) liked this post: maverick

More
02 Aug 2017 10:54 #8380 by James3592
James3592 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
British GT has been pretty good this year (They could use a few more GT3 cars, but overall I've enjoyed it). If Australia was to follow with a similar sort of thing (I like the different race formats they have too) I think it would work out pretty well.

The Motorsport Nerd: A blog for all motorsport enthusiasts by a massive motorsport enthusiast. Check it out: motorsportnerd.wixsite.com/the-motorsport-nerd
The Motorsport Nerd is now on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themotorsportnerd/?view..._for=239217863187708

• Richo
  • Away
More
02 Aug 2017 12:25 - 02 Aug 2017 12:27 #8382 by Richo

Snowman wrote:

Richo wrote: GT4 for the main series next year.

You'll find there is far more GT4 cars than that here. I think there are 4 x Caymans, 2 x X Bows, as well as the 2 x Ginetta G55's that did 12hr this year. Audi have cars coming, and I also expect there to be some M4's and AMG's (I've heard rumors for both with local orders).

Thanks for that, I was referring to cars I had seen in the flesh or in photos. Completely forgot about the two 12hr Ginettas though.

MPC would be loving having the R8 GT4 down here to run in GT4 and the state series. Weren't you looking at a Porsche yourself?
Last Edit: 02 Aug 2017 12:27 by Richo.

More
02 Aug 2017 13:13 #8385 by Snowman
Snowman replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I'm definitely interested in getting in to the GT4 class. That said there still needs to be a little more clarification on a few things before I commit (such as the exact schedule etc).

I really like the idea though for me of doing something like the AP36 in GT4 rather than say the full series of Aust GT. And given that I have had a chat to a few people about potentially buying something with someone else that we can run that series in and share the costs. Either way I'm not in a rush. I've had some early chats already about some options for B12hr in GT4 next year - so unless something amazing deal wise comes along I might try and run 12hr next year in something, and wait until we see the various new GT4 cars start to appear around the world and get a feel for what I might actually like to buy. I love my Cayman - but I do feel the new GT4 cars from Audi, Merc, BMW as well as the new gen Ginetta G55 (with ABS, TCS etc) are all going to be better cars that are all being designed to have a +5 year competition life in the scope they have for BOP adjustments - which the Cayman doesn't have.

More
02 Aug 2017 14:03 #8386 by TCR
TCR replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I know others haven't shared my optimism in the past, but I always thought it was only going to be a matter of time before GT4 started to gain some traction in Australia. It'll be a great starting point for someone to dip their toes into the GT category. Hopefully you can get something together Snowman, would great to see you on the grid.

More
07 Aug 2017 05:42 - 07 Aug 2017 05:47 #8413 by Mechanic Z
Mechanic Z replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Hope it does take off for you guys. Here in the US, PWC just went all-GT4 in the GTS class this year (aside from the yet-to-be-homologated Panoz) & it's been really awesome. Haven't quite had the numbers I thought it would, but the racing and cars have been great. However many you get, it should be a really good thing for Australian GT.
Last Edit: 07 Aug 2017 05:47 by Mechanic Z.

More
08 Aug 2017 17:49 #8425 by CP
CP replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Is there any truth to the rumour of the Erebuses turning Japanese (via Ohio)?
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo

More
09 Aug 2017 03:12 - 09 Aug 2017 03:13 #8426 by RedZedMikey
RedZedMikey replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
Haven't heard anything and couldn't see any clues in her facebook posts. It's been a while since we saw Erebus campaign their own vehicle/s in GT3 ... perhaps absence made the fart go Honda :D.
Last Edit: 09 Aug 2017 03:13 by RedZedMikey.

More
09 Aug 2017 08:14 #8427 by kiwikid_1
kiwikid_1 replied the topic: 2018 Australian GT Championship.
I was with a couple of ex erebus guys at our last round here in NZ and both the SLS's are parked up. There was talk about the B12hr winning car being kept as a trophy and maybe selling the other. There were other things as well but this isn't the place to talk about other peoples business.

• Richo
  • Away
More
09 Aug 2017 08:43 #8428 by Richo

CP wrote: Is there any truth to the rumour of the Erebuses turning Japanese (via Ohio)?

Great! Now Betty will harping on how about how awesome her new Civic is on her facebook page :lol:

If Erebus were to turn Japanese it wouldn't be cheap but in the right hands it'd be a race winner. Good path to go down but would Betty be willing to invest that much money again? Part of me thinks not as it appears theyre a bit more Supercar focussed these days but its her money her call.

Time to create page: 0.430 seconds