2017 Challenge Bathurst Nov 16-19.

• maverick
  • maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 Jun 2017 15:33 - 29 Jun 2017 15:47 #7747 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: CAMS controlling the local GT scene.

mayhem wrote: I realise the event isn't aimed at spectators, but there isn't any reason now to attend for me. I wonder what this will do to entry numbers on the Pro day? CAMS seems to be meddling in GT3 right now, not sure their motivations, but there is a bit of a stench coming from their offices...

Yes well without making any hasty decisions I'd say at this stage that I won't be attending either. So that's the motel losing the cash for 3 nights plus restaurants, servo's, small business etc losing out.
James O'Brien won't take this lying down and I know that many will be wishing him well in taking CAMS on.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.
Last Edit: 29 Jun 2017 15:47 by maverick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2017 15:55 #7750 by CP
CP replied the topic: CAMS controlling the local GT scene.
Mr Arocca has made his comments known in a Speedcafe article.

CAMS CEO Eugene Arocca says his organisation is prepared to deal with O’Brien’s appeal.
He admits the new directive is unlikely to be received positively by all competitors, but backs the call he believes is for the good of GT racing in the country.
“Inevitably there are going to be individuals whether they are vehicle owners or organisers that may not understand, accept or like that directive, but we always fall back on the responsibility we have for the sport,” Arocca told Speedcafe.com.
“We have been in discussions with James (O’Brien) and we confirmed yesterday that he would not be able to permit GT3 under the regulations in his event.
“Like anything there is always two sides to a story. If James feels aggrieved and wants to take this further then we will obviously deal with that when and if it arrives.
“We take our responsibility very seriously and we look at the sport as a whole.
“I feel sorry for those people that thought this was the position (that they would be able to race GT cars at State level) and then told it has been changed, but rules often change in sports on a regular basis.
“All I can say to those people is we made the decision based on the information we have and believe is right for the sport.”

http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/06/29/challenge-bathurst-appeal-cams-gt-ban/

More
29 Jun 2017 16:06 #7752 by mayhem
mayhem replied the topic: CAMS controlling the local GT scene.
I've read through all that speedcafe article, and I am yet to see one tiny slice of reasoning that justifies this move. Maybe I watch too much House of Cards, but this smells fishy.

That's a nice photo. You must have a good camera.

How come no one ever says, 'that was a nice meal, you must have a good oven'.

More
29 Jun 2017 17:19 #7753 by CP
CP replied the topic: CAMS controlling the local GT scene.

mayhem wrote: I've read through all that speedcafe article, and I am yet to see one tiny slice of reasoning that justifies this move. Maybe I watch too much House of Cards, but this smells fishy.

Bu, bu, bu, bu, bu, its for the good of the sport. :P

More
29 Jun 2017 18:20 #7755 by Nardulas
Nardulas replied the topic: 2017 Challenge Bathurst Nov 16-19.
For the good of the sport? The only people that this decision will advantage are those who wish to see a steady decline and eventual death of GT racing in this country
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo

• Miguel
  • GT REPORT
More
29 Jun 2017 21:11 #7766 by Miguel
Miguel replied the topic: CAMS controlling the local GT scene.

Snowman wrote: This just came in from Challenge Bathurst.

EVENT STATEMENT
29 June 2017 – For Immediate Release to all competitors

STATEMENT REGARDING GT ELIGIBILITY – CHALLENGE BATHURST

Challenge Bathurst Event Director James O’Brien has released the following regarding the eligibility of GT3 vehicles to compete at Challenge Bathurst (“the Event”).

“The recent statements by CAMS, issued on 24 May and 5 June 2017 respectively, aim to restrict certain FIA homologated GT3 automobiles (2GT) from competing at any CAMS sanctioned events other than Australian GT Championship or other Australian GT permitted events. CAMS intend to achieve these restrictions by re-classifying applicable 2GT automobiles to a code of 2GT CHAMP. CAMS have produced a list of automobiles to be re-classified as 2GT CHAMP, all of which would be ineligible to compete at the Event.”

“We have reviewed the CAMS eligibility restrictions in conjunction with the International Sporting Code, CAMS Constitution and the National Competition Rules. It is our opinion that CAMS does not have jurisdiction to make a rule that restricts the participation of FIA homologated GT3 vehicles at the Event and consequently the vehicle eligibility restrictions which were announced on 24 May and 5 June 2017 are void.”

“The draft Supplementary Regulations (“the Regulations”) for the 2017 Event were submitted to CAMS for comment in late April. The final Supplementary Regulations were submitted to CAMS for approval on 26 June 2017. These Regulations include the eligibility of all FIA GT3 automobiles, as approved by CAMS at the 2016 Event, regardless of any domestic re-classification by CAMS. On 28 June 2017, CAMS refused to approve the Regulations without the restrictions above.

“We intend to appeal this decision through the Australian Motor Sport Appeal Court however are unable to provide a date for this Appeal. The date for entries to open in the Supplementary Regulations was 3 July 2017. Without approval of the Supplementary Regulations by CAMS, we are unable to accept entries to the Event. Once the Appeal has been heard, we will be able to advise the outcome and a revised date for entries to open.”

Very well, fight those clowns. CAMS is already counting the licencing money they'll get from Australian GT. For the good as the sport my ass.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath

More
30 Jun 2017 20:32 #7773 by chatswood47
chatswood47 replied the topic: CAMS controlling the local GT scene.

maverick wrote:

mayhem wrote: I realise the event isn't aimed at spectators, but there isn't any reason now to attend for me. I wonder what this will do to entry numbers on the Pro day? CAMS seems to be meddling in GT3 right now, not sure their motivations, but there is a bit of a stench coming from their offices...

Yes well without making any hasty decisions I'd say at this stage that I won't be attending either. So that's the motel losing the cash for 3 nights plus restaurants, servo's, small business etc losing out.
James O'Brien won't take this lying down and I know that many will be wishing him well in taking CAMS on.

I believe Dan Murphy's is going to go into liquidation without your substantial investment !!

Seriously a very disturbing situation with CAMS appearing to once again exceed its authority by not even discussing the matter with those involved.
This will be the thin edge of the wedge so we need Supercars to come to the fore and support the appeal otherwise things will only get worse.
I know James has a steely determination in anything he tackles and I wish him well in the appeal.

Too old for women so it's cars and truffles from now on.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nath

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 Jul 2017 09:58 #7783 by maverick
I like the chances of the GT's being at CB.

Shakedown, the forum where 1 or 2 people won't be allowed to ruin the enjoyment of others.

More
03 Jul 2017 05:35 #7844 by MY CV8
MY CV8 replied the topic: CAMS controlling the local GT scene.
First up, I'll be upfront......I am biased towards CB. The next level of service and professionalism by the YEE HAH Event organisers to all officials and competitors was outstanding.

Last year I flagged for 2 days with the GT cars and alike, then competed in the Saturday/Sunday Regularity. I camped on a powered site for free from Wednesday to Sunday. The event organisers had breakfast, lunch and dinner with a cold ale ready when required. They arranged a lap around Panorama in a V8 Experience Car for all officials plus a CB jacket and cap. When I needed to have my car scrutineered on the Friday, race control arranged me a lift to my car and fast tracked me through the 100's of waiting competitors.

CAMS is about control, control of risk. CB's proven popularity and sway over the masses is an unknown....AKA a risk. In general motorsport in Australia is going under some major identity changes. We will no longer have the Bathurst bogun stereotype that Richard Hammond once commented on TG "Australians annually go to a mountain in the outback for a fight and at sometime during the weekend a car race breaks out". We have grown up and trimmed our mullets. Our taste has developed and we want more from the worlds best car manufacturers. B12H and Easters 6 Hour will only get bigger as our collective prejudice for a 2 horse race fades. During this time we require a governing body who can adapt and respond appropriately to all demands.

This CAMS correspondence falls well short of promoting the growth or protection of our sport. To me it comes across as a malicious, blatant attack, fabricated for the sole purpose, through selective targeting, to intentionally stifle and/or impede with the ongoing progress of an emerging event that CAMS doesn't have their finger in the pie.

No CAMS........WE are Motorsport.
The following user(s) liked this post: Richo, RedZedMikey, mayhem, StueyB83

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
03 Jul 2017 08:44 #7845 by maverick

MY CV8 wrote: First up, I'll be upfront......I am biased towards CB. The next level of service and professionalism by the YEE HAH Event organisers to all officials and competitors was outstanding.

Last year I flagged for 2 days with the GT cars and alike, then competed in the Saturday/Sunday Regularity. I camped on a powered site for free from Wednesday to Sunday. The event organisers had breakfast, lunch and dinner with a cold ale ready when required. They arranged a lap around Panorama in a V8 Experience Car for all officials plus a CB jacket and cap. When I needed to have my car scrutineered on the Friday, race control arranged me a lift to my car and fast tracked me through the 100's of waiting competitors.

CAMS is about control, control of risk. CB's proven popularity and sway over the masses is an unknown....AKA a risk. In general motorsport in Australia is going under some major identity changes. We will no longer have the Bathurst bogun stereotype that Richard Hammond once commented on TG "Australians annually go to a mountain in the outback for a fight and at sometime during the weekend a car race breaks out". We have grown up and trimmed our mullets. Our taste has developed and we want more from the worlds best car manufacturers. B12H and Easters 6 Hour will only get bigger as our collective prejudice for a 2 horse race fades. During this time we require a governing body who can adapt and respond appropriately to all demands.

This CAMS correspondence falls well short of promoting the growth or protection of our sport. To me it comes across as a malicious, blatant attack, fabricated for the sole purpose, through selective targeting, to intentionally stifle and/or impede with the ongoing progress of an emerging event that CAMS doesn't have their finger in the pie.

Nice first up post and welcome.

More
03 Jul 2017 18:17 #7865 by StueyB83
StueyB83 replied the topic: 2017 Challenge Bathurst Nov 16-19.
CAMS decision to prevent GT3 at CB is purely out of commercial interest only.

They could trot out an argument that its for competitor safety but that would be dense, as there are a significant number of cars eligible for CB that are as fast or faster than a GT3; the 599XX maranello has, or the Vulcan TQ has - or any number of un-logged former GT3 cars that could be hot-rodded such as Moslers or Camaros to name a few.

CAMS was also happy to allow the Fiat 500's to race at the 2014 B12hr with a 2:36 lap time compared to the fastest lap of the GT3's - 2:03.85 - that wasn't a concern then - so why would it be now?

If there were CB competitors scared of GT3 cars blowing doors off - then surely they would have gone to YEEHAH and not CAMS.

Anyway - All I can say is that the CB GT3 ban is not for safety reasons and O'Brien is in his right to argue against it.

For your global GT3 photo fix: www.flickr.com/groups/gt3/
For deciding what to spray on your podium celebrations: champagnetipplers.wordpress.com/

For my guessed Entry List: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZaPzpOWO...K1Y/edit?usp=sharing

More
03 Jul 2017 21:50 #7870 by chatswood47
chatswood47 replied the topic: CAMS controlling the local GT scene.

MY CV8 wrote: First up, I'll be upfront......I am biased towards CB. The next level of service and professionalism by the YEE HAH Event organisers to all officials and competitors was outstanding.

I was more than happy to assist a fellow motorsport fan giving up time to help us when we were short on officials-it was much appreciated and just proves that no matter whether we are competitors or volunteer officials we try to work together to make events enjoyable event for all.(something that needs to be explored by some).

I have already stated that James is not the sort of bloke to take dictatorial crap lightly and I agree that the Easter support events that have provided great racing over the last couple of years need to be protected.
My belief is that the cars will run at Challenge and will provide some great action even though they aren't chasing sheep stations rather the satisfaction of driving a quick car at the Mount.

Too old for women so it's cars and truffles from now on.

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Jul 2017 14:38 - 05 Jul 2017 14:38 #7914 by maverick
With CAMS rescinding today it has also meant that CB has ceased their legal proceedings in the Australian Sports Appeals Court and CB is now expecting to receive approved regs for CB 2017 including their event sup-regs.
Great news.

Last Edit: 05 Jul 2017 14:38 by maverick.
The following user(s) liked this post: Nardulas

More
05 Jul 2017 19:50 #7927 by Nardulas
Nardulas replied the topic: 2017 Challenge Bathurst Nov 16-19.
Excellent news. Looks like I might have to make an appearance at the mountain after all

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 Jul 2017 16:43 #8087 by maverick
maverick replied the topic: 2017 Challenge Bathurst Nov 16-19.

More
13 Jul 2017 18:04 #8088 by Cozzy858
Cozzy858 replied the topic: 2017 Challenge Bathurst Nov 16-19.

Nardulas wrote: Excellent news. Looks like I might have to make an appearance at the mountain after all

Hopefully i get a chance to see more then 5 minutes this year unlike last.... Be nice to see gt3 cars scream around the mount before we head to Sydney haha

• The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
  • The conversationalist formally known as Goat69's Avatar
More
13 Jul 2017 18:27 - 13 Jul 2017 18:28 #8089 by The conversationalist formally known as Goat69
The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 replied the topic: 2017 Challenge Bathurst Nov 16-19.

maverick wrote: Competitor info & regs.

m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1955...44644855&__tn__=%2As

You putting the "van" in mav? Do u think work would care if i drove the outlander at the event? Dads army would be loaded in the car to get the centre of gravity at the right height.

Baron Peck Peckington III
Last Edit: 13 Jul 2017 18:28 by The conversationalist formally known as Goat69.

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 Jul 2017 18:32 #8090 by maverick

The conversationalist formally known as Goat69 wrote:

maverick wrote: Competitor info & regs.

m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1955...44644855&__tn__=%2As

You putting the "van" in mav? Do u think work would care if i drove the outlander at the event? Dads army would be loaded in the car to get the centre of gravity at the right height.

Ah no.

More
14 Jul 2017 10:22 #8097 by Richo
Richo replied the topic: 2017 Challenge Bathurst Nov 16-19.
Reading through the Supp Reggs I noticed a bulletin point- 'no white vans'

• maverick
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 Jul 2017 19:25 #8116 by maverick

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds